News By Tag
News By Location
TEDxBirmingham Announces Speakers for September Salon
Speakers delivering short TEDx talks as auditions for TEDxBirmingham 2015
Speakers and performers for the September 15 Salon include:
· Andrew Billings, Professor of Telecommunication & Film at the University of Alabama, who will be speaking about how sports can serve as a common ground and language for social change.
· Tahiera Brown, writer and CEO of Darkness To Light Films, who will be speaking about resiliency in overcoming extreme and traumatic situations.
· Bri Bruce, writer, artist, and musician, who will be performing a spoken word and musical piece.
· Miguel Carpizo-Ituarte, community organizer for Greater Birmingham Ministries, who will be speaking about a holistic approach to overcoming one’s perceived challenges.
· Caroline McGraw, writer and creator of AWishComeClear.com, who will be speaking about overcoming the mental barrier of perfectionism.
· John Paul Taylor, poet and founder of the non-profit Real Life Poets, who will be speaking about how poetry and the arts can empower youth to speak their truths.
· Brad Toland, teacher, lawyer, tour guide and editor of TolandTravels.com, who will be speaking about how travel can open up our minds and help us relate to others.
· Tripp Watson, entrepreneur attorney and founder of the Watson Firm, who will be speaking about what cities can learn about attracting and retaining young professionals.
Anyone interested in attending a TEDxBirmingham event can get more information from www.TEDxBirmingham.org. Information is also available by following @TEDxBirmingham on Twitter.
TEDxBirmingham is loosely themed, and speakers — none of whom are paid — are curated from various backgrounds. The program also features artistic performers as well as a tasting by a local chef. Attending TEDxBirmingham requires applying for an invitation. The audience is carefully curated, representing a cross-disciplinary mix of attendees, ranging from civic and business leaders to professionals, ivarc educators, technologists, and artists.
TEDxBirmingham – like all TEDx events – is an independent, volunteer effort operated under license from TED. It is not organized for political reasons, monetary reward, or personal gain. Everyone associated with TEDxBirmingham does so because they believe in the power of ideas to change the world.
TEDxBirmingham is supported by sponsors, who provide both in-kind contribution of their services or products, or cash contributions. TEDxBirmingham is organized under the fiscal sponsorship of the Innovation Depot, which is a 501(c)(3) organization.
Follow on Twitter at twitter.com/
About TEDx, x = independently organized event
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TED Talks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized. (Subject to certain rules and regulations.)
TED is a nonprofit organization devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading. Started as a four-day conference in California almost 30 years ago, TED has grown to support its mission with multiple initiatives. The two annual TED Conferences invite the world's leading thinkers and doers to speak for 18 minutes on a diverse mix of topics. Many of these talks are then made available, free, at TED.com. TED speakers have included Bill Gates, Jane Goodall, Elizabeth Gilbert, Sir Richard Branson, Nandan Nilekani, Philippe Starck, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Isabel Allende and former UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown. The TED2014 Conference takes place in Vancouver, British Columbia, along with the TEDActive simulcast in neighboring Whistler. TEDGlobal 2014 will be held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
TED's media initiatives include TED.com, where new TED Talks are posted daily; the Open Translation Project, which provides subtitles and interactive transcripts as well as translations from volunteers worldwide; the educational initiative TED-Ed; and TEDBooks, short e-books on powerful ideas. TED has established the annual TED Prize, where exceptional individuals with a wish to change the world get help translating their wishes into action; TEDx, which supports individuals or groups in hosting local, self-organized TED-style events around the world; and the TED Fellows program, helping world-changing innovators from around the globe to amplify the impact of their remarkable projects and activities.
Follow TED on Twitter at http://twitter.com/
For information about TED's upcoming conferences, visit http://www.ted.com/