News By Tag
News By Place
The Dynamic and Historic Eastern Region of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. Convenes August 14th thr
Since its founding in 1913, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. has clearly distinguished itself as a public service organization that boldly confronts the challenges faced by many communities. Collegiate and Alumnae members provide an extensive array of public service initiatives through its Five-Point Programmatic Thrust:
· Economic Development
· Educational Development
· International Awareness and Involvement
· Physical and Mental Health
· Political Awareness and Involvement
During the four-day conference members of the Eastern Region of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. will host a number of public service initiatives. A 5K Run/Walk campaign is planned for Saturday, August 16th with a portion of the proceeds going to benefit The Home for Little Wanderers. For more information on this event visit, http://www.active.com/
In addition, members of the sorority will visit youth in residence at The Home’s Boston location. The visit will include cultural and educational enrichment activities. Members of the Eastern Region will also deliver more than 900 book bags and a host of school supplies for school-aged children in the Boston area.
The public is also encouraged to attend the following events:
· Thursday, August 14th, Welcome Reception with local luminaries. This event will be held at the Sheraton Hotel, http://www.sheratonbostonhotel.com/
· Saturday, August 16th, Social Action Luncheon, featuring Ms. Lucia Kay Mc Bath (mother of Florida’s slain youth Jordan Davis). This event will be held at the John B. Hynes Veterans Memorial Convention Center http://massconvention.com/
· Sunday, August 17th, Ecumenical Service to be held also at the John B. Hynes Veterans Memorial Convention Center. The event commences at 9:00am.
For more information visit, http://www.easternregiondst.org/
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. National President, Dr. Paulette Walker states, “Conducting the regional conference in Boston, Massachusetts will conclude the Sorority's 2014 Regional Conference cycle. For three months we have traveled to six states across the country in order to conduct the business of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. Just as the sun rises in the East, the same is true of the dawning of our magnificent sorority. Over 101 years ago, in Washington, DC which is a part of our Eastern Region, 22 collegiate women at Howard University used their collective strengths to promote academic excellence and provide assistance to those in need.
Though Boston is the seventh and final location of the conference cycle, we are thrilled to end where it all began: in the Eastern Region.”
Eastern Regional Director, Ms. Robin Jacobs states, “The conference is designed to implement initiatives centered around the sorority’s programmatic thrust. I am truly excited about the future of the Eastern Region and the impact these initiatives will continue to have on the community for which we serve.”
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. was founded in 1913 on the campus of Howard University to promote academic excellence; to provide scholarships;