Environmental Hygienist Phillip Fry Answers Objections To Use of High Output Ozone Gas in Mold Remediation
High output ozone gas is effective and safe as one of the steps in the mold remediation process, according to mold expert and Certified Environmental Hygienist Phillip Fry.
“High output ozone gas for at least eight hours in each treatment area is highly effective for killing mold spores and mold growth that are actually touched by the ozone gas,” adds Mr. Fry, who is also webmaster of the ozone information website www.ozonegeneratorkillsmold.com, a website that sells high output ozone generators.
Mr. Fry provides “the other side of the story” to these four criticisms contained in several internet-posted articles.
1. “The use of ozone generators is not the magic wand that is going to eliminate the tough work of mold remediation—
TRUE. High output ozone treatment is only one of the steps for effective mold remediation. For example, EnviroFry not only effectively and safely removes moldy building materials from client buildings, but the company also does other non-ozone remediation steps such as hepa-vacuuming and spraying and fogging mold-killing EPA-registered fungicides.
2. “Pets, indoor houseplants, rubber gaskets, plastic coatings such as electrical wire insulation, fabrics, artwork and other materials and contents in buildings can all be damaged by exposure to ozone.”
OVERSTATED. During high output ozone treatment of a home or other building, and for two hours after treatment, there are NO pets, people, or live plants inside the building.
The EnviroFry experience with many mold remediation projects over the years worldwide is that limited duration ozone treatment (e.g., eight to ten hours at a time) has no effect on rubber gaskets, plastic coatings, artwork, or other materials. In addition, artwork and other items can either be removed or covered/wrapped in plastic sheeting during the ozone treatment time.
3. “Exposure to ozone often leads to chest pains, asthma attacks and a number of related breathing problems. Permanent damage can occur from long-term contact, including degradation of the body’s ability to fight respiratory infections.”
MISLEADING. Occupants are not exposed to breathing in ozone because there are no people (or pets) inside the building during the ozone treatment time and for two hours afterwards. After the end of an ozone treatment, EnviroFry immediately opens up windows and uses fans to exhaust ozone-containing air to the outdoors. During such airing out, EnviroFry personnel wear special breathing respirators to filter out ozone during their brief airing-out work inside the building.
4. “High levels of ozone are not sufficient to impact biological contaminants embedded in porous materials.”
TRUE. Moldy porous materials such as drywall are removed and discarded in effective mold remediation. Mold growth is removed from wood timbers by either power wire brushing or baking soda blasting. If the mold growth is too deep into the wood for surface removal, such moldy lumber is removed and replaced with new mold-free, treated lumber that has also been encapsulated (prior to installation)
Mold-exposed clothing should be washed with borax laundry detergent, dry-cleaned (if dry cleanable) or discarded. Similarly, mold-exposed upholstered furniture, bedding, and carpeting should be thoroughly HEPA-vacuumed and scrubbed with a mold removal agent such as boric acid powder, dissolved into hot water. If there is visible mold colony growth in such items, they should be discarded with no effort to mold clean them.
For information about the EnviroFry nationwide USA mold inspection and mold remediation services, email Phillip Fry firstname.lastname@example.org, or phone Mr. Fry toll-free 1-866-300-1616 or his cell phone 1-480-310-7970, or visit the company website www.moldexpertconsultants.com.