News By Tag
News By Place
Office Ergonomics and the Workplace
Ergonomics is the science of getting the workplace in the most optimal condition for employees to be comfortable, safe, and productive.
Employee satisfaction and safety is important in the workplace. The happier the employees are when it comes to the working atmosphere, the more productive they will be. The safer the environment, the less likely to have to contend with accidents and injuries. This is important for small and large businesses, factories, and any venue of employment. If you’re curious as to ergonomics in the workplace, here a few principles to consider:
1. For those who are prone to jobs that have them sit or stand in the same position much of the time, it is important to get up and move around at various times throughout the day and use different postures for the work if plausible. If you keep muscles in the same position for extended periods of time, they get stiff and the chances of you injuring it are greater.
2. Use proper technique for lifting heavy items. Employees should be taught how to correctly lift up heavy items so that the least amount of strain is put on the back as possible.
3. To avoid stress injuries, be easy on your joints. Do not strain your joints too far, but rather keep them in a neutral position so that your range of motion is good. If you stress them too much and often, you’re in danger of a stress injury.
4. For those that work at a desk, be sure that the desk is the right height for you. You should be able to easily reach the items on your desk without strain.
5. Do your best not to slouch when you’re working. As best as you can, keep your back straight and your neck relaxed.
6. Be sure that your feet touch the floor.
7. Keep your monitor at a distance where you can easily see it and not have to lean forward or strain your eyes to see. You can usually adjust the monitor’s height to meet your needs.
8. Use a headset when talking on the phone, as this does not put a stress on your arm or neck. If you crunch the phone in between your neck and shoulder, you’re more prone to tension and injury.
9. Every half hour, stand up and stretch out your muscles. If you can take a short walk around the office or down the hall, do so.
10. If you have to type a lot, keep your wrists relaxed and straight. If you use a mouse, purchase one that is comfortable for your hand and wrist. There are many to choose from these days and the cheap ones are not the way to go for those who are on the computer all day.
11. Take a full lunch break doing something other than work. It is important to get up and get out of your immediate workplace surrounding on your lunch break. Go to the break room, take a walk, or go out to shop or eat. You can stretch your muscles and get a nice little break from the grind.
If you follow these ergonomic tips, you’ll be more apt to suffer less strain, stress, and injury at your workplace. Just a little bit of precaution can go a long way. If you follow these ergonomic tips, you’ll be more apt to suffer less strain, stress, and injury at your workplace. Just a little bit of precaution can go a long way. To learn more about ergonomic office furniture, visit us at: http://www.workplace-