Exhibitions & auctions of works in wood headline AAW 28th Annual Symposium in Phoenix
Conference goers to learn, share and celebrate the art and craft of woodturning June 12-15
In addition to educational demonstrations and sessions for registered symposium attendees, the symposium will offer free events open to the public that provide a rare glimpse into the world of woodturning. Public events include exhibitions, galleries and auctions of sculptural and functional works in wood and a tradeshow that features ongoing woodturning demonstrations. AAW welcomes individuals of all ages to visit, be inspired, develop an appreciation and possibly even a passion for the art of woodturning.
• American Association of Woodturners (AAW)
• 1,000 woodturners from around the globe
• Approximately 40 youth ages 10 to 18
• 25 blind/visually impaired individuals and disabled veterans from the Phoenix area
• AAW 28th Annual International Symposium
• Phoenix Convention Center (West Building), 100 N. Third St., Phoenix, AZ 85004
• Thursday, June 12 through Sunday, June 15, 2014
PHOTO & VIDEO OPPORTUNITIES:
• Art works in wood
• Demonstrations of woodturning process
• Specialized programming for youth ages 10 to 18
• Phil McDonald, Executive Director
• Dale Larson, Board President
PUBLIC EVENTS (Open to the public, free admission)
Exhibitions & Galleries
Discover the art and craft of woodturning. Celebrate stunning contemporary sculptural and functional works in wood by established and emerging artists from five continents in our juried, invitational and merit award exhibitions – Room 212A. See the largest display of wood-turned objects under one roof in our galleries – Exhibition Hall 1, Lower Level.
• Friday, June 13 from 9:10 am to 6:30 pm
• Saturday, June 14 from 9 am to 4:30 pm
• Sunday, June 15 from 9 am to noon
Live, Online & Silent Auctions
Bid on museum-quality works in wood. Auction proceeds support the AAW’s grant, outreach and educational programs.
• EOG Live Auction - Friday, June 13 at 7:30 pm – Room 301C
• EOG Silent Auction - Friday, June 13 at 8:40 am through Saturday, June 14 at 8:30 pm
Exhibition Hall 2/3, Lower Level
• POP Ceremony Live Auction - Saturday, June 14 at 3:15 pm – Foyer 212A
• Online Auctions - Preview, register & bid at http://auction2014.woodturner.org/
Woodturning Tradeshow (Exhibition Hall 1, Lower Level)
• Friday, June 13 from 10 am to 7 pm
• Saturday, June 14 from 7:30 am to 5:30 pm
• Sunday, June 15 from 8 am to 2:15 pm
Charitable Initiatives (Exhibition Hall 2/3, Lower Level)
Woodturned bowls crafted and donated by AAW members will be sold for $25 each. 100% of the proceeds benefit Phoenix-based SEEDs for Autism, a nonprofit vocational arts program for young adults on the autism spectrum. Browse the unique display of handmade boxes donated by AAW members for Beads of Courage, an Arizona-based nonprofit that provides supportive care programs for children coping with serious illness.
• Friday, June 13, 9:10 am to 7 pm
• Saturday, June 14, 7:30 am to 5 pm
• Sunday, June 15, 8 am to 1 pm
View complete media advisory at http://www.woodturner.org/?