Amended Standard EN 71-1 under EU Toy Directive
The European standardization committee CEN published a revision of the toy standard EN 71-1:2011 +A3:2014.
Amendments on EU Toy Standard EN 71-1
Two different subjects “paperboard”
Paperboard Properties and Small Parts
Paperboard is excluded from the small parts requirements. The exclusion is due to the properties of paperboard to soften and lose its form and strength when wetted by children that chew and bite on paperboard. The wet pieces do not pose a significant choking risk. The exclusion although does not apply to paperboards that are small parts as received and weakly attached small parts. Attached paperboard pieces that are small parts and can be detached by less than 25N can be ingested while they are still dry and pose a choking risk. For this paperboard small parts and weakly attached small parts are not allowed.
Visibility and Legibility of Warnings on Toys
In order to improve the visibility and legibility of warnings, good practice guidance is given.
Please find below the items covered:
- Emphasize the warning: e.g. by placing them in a prominent position.
- Contrast, background and colors: e.g. by advising sharp contrast and avoiding of strong background patterns.
- Reflecting surfaces and obscuring material: e.g. by avoiding highly reflecting surfaces.
- Font type: by using sans-serif font types.
- Font size: no recommendation is given for font size in order to avoid the use of only the smallest specified font size, however it is recommended to use larger font sizes where possible to improve visibility and legibility.
- Logical direction of text: by considering logical lay-out directions.
Changes due to interpretation issues:
- Toy and packaging requirements for plastic sheeting and bags have been harmonized
- Explanation of the terms of elastic and felt fabric in relation to small part exclusions
- The accuracy specification for the Gauss meter has been corrected
About SGS Services for Toys and Juvenile Products
Throughout a global network, SGS offers consultation and comprehensive testing services (http://www.sgs.com/
Please do not hesitate to contact the SGS experts for further information.
SGS Consumer Testing Services
Senior Toy Expert
SGS Nederland BV
Malledijk 18, PO Box 200
3200 AE Spijkenisse
t: +31 181 694517
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 80,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 1,650 offices and laboratories around the world.