News By Tag
News By Place
Jackie Chan, Ahmed Kathrada, Irrfan Khan, Norah Jones and Gok Wan honoured at The 4th Asian Awards
On a sensational, star-studded night, Jackie Chan, Ahmed Kathrada, Irrfan Khan, Norah Jones, Gok Wan, Sir David Tang and billionaire Lui Che Woo were among those honoured at The Asian Awards in Partnership with UBS, at The Grosvenor House Hotel.
Founder of The Asian Awards, Paul Sagoo said,“This year, The Asian Awards has truly lived up to its name, celebrating global Asian achievement in what was a triumphant night. We are honoured with the support of our guests and winners, including the amazing Ahmed Kathrada, Jackie Chan, and MP’s like Jeremy Hunt who joined us for this magnificent gathering of some of the world’s most inspirational and powerful people. “The Asian Awards also saw the presentation of the second ‘Top 100 Most Influential Asians’, which highlights the world’s most influential Asians today. Countless hours of research and deliberation went into creating this list and I am confident it will become a definitive guide of measuring influence among those of Asian origin.”
Chivas deluxe blended Scotch whisky was delighted to be the partner of The Asian Awards 2014. Chivas was also proud to present the new Public Servant of the Year award for the first time, won this year by Shalil Shetty (Amnesty International Secretary of Human Rights).
The Awards started with spectacular entertainment from singer and actress Preeya Kalidas, who performed for a room full of A-list guests, including Idris Elba, Zayn Malik, Naughty Boy, Beverley Knight, Laura Mvula, Gok Wan, Lydia Rose-Bright, Amy Willerton, Nina Wadia, Nitin Ganatra, Jasmin Walia, Gurinder Chadha, Adil Ray and Mark Ramprakash amongst others. The awards partnered with charity Oxfam and raised a significant sum for the foundation.
The ceremony was opened by The Asian Awards Founder, Paul Sagoo, followed by the presentation of the prestigious Founders Award by Golden Globe-winner Idris Elba, who honoured South African politician, former political prisoner and anti-Apartheid activist Ahmed Kathrada. In an emotional, historic acceptance speech to a standing ovation, Ahmed dedicated the award to his brothers and sisters who did not live to see the freedom they fought for.
The coveted Fellowship Award went to Jackie Chan actor, director and martial artist who has been in the entertainment industry for 55 years. Legendary Indian actor, Irrfan Khan, was awarded Outstanding Achievement in Cinema. Irrfan has famously crossed over into western cinema, becoming the first Bollywood actor to star in two films that won the Academy Award for Best Director Slumdog Millionaire (2008) and Life of Pi (2012).
Norah Jones was awarded with the Outstanding Achievement in Music prize for her immense achievements in global music, while the Outstanding Achievement in Television award went to Gok Wan, who was overwhelmed at receiving the prestigious award. Gok dedicated the award to his father who he said, “Has taught me that being Asian is cool.”
Hong Kong’s second richest man with an estimated worth of US $22 billion, Lui Che Woo, picked up the Entrepreneur of the Year award; The Business Leader of the Year award went to Vaccine billionaire, Cyrus Poonawalla, Owner of Serum Institute of India, the world's largest producer of vaccines, making more than one billion doses annually. As of March 2014, Forbes estimates Poonawalla's net worth at $4.9 billion.
Noble prize-winning Sir Venkatraman Ramakrishnan was awarded Outstanding Achievement in Science; while the Outstanding Achievement in Sport award went to Indian cricket captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni.
Finally, Prime Minister David Cameron addressed the audience acknowledging the awards had grown from strength to strength, recognising the Asian Awards are the only Pan Sector Pan-Asian award ceremony in the world and stating how proud he was that they were held in London. In conclusion he paid tribute to the Founders Award recipient Ahmed Kathrada.
THE ASIAN AWARDS – FULL LIST OF WINNERS
1) Fellowship Award - Jackie Chan
2) Founders Award - Ahmed Kathrada
3) Outstanding Achievement in Cinema - Irrfan Khan
4) Outstanding Achievement in Art - Sir David Tang
5) Outstanding Achievement in Music - Norah Jones
6) Outstanding Achievement in Television - Gok Wan
7) Public Servant of the Year - Salil Shetty
8) Entrepreneur of the Year - Lui Che Woo
9) Business Leader of the Year - Cyrus Poonawalla
10) Outstanding Achievement in Science - Venkatraman Ramakrishnan
11) Outstanding Achievement in Sport - Mahendra Singh Dhoni
Notes for Editors:
1) The Asian Awards in Partnership with UBS was conceived by Paul Sagoo, Founder of consultancy, Lemon Group. A celebration of excellence among the global Asian community, they were launched in 2010 and now recognise and reward the outstanding achievements of individuals born from anywhere within the Asian region across all disciplines of life - from business, the arts and culture to sport and public service. The ceremony draws 1,000 of the most influential people in the Asian community and has raised over £250,000 for charity.
2) Top 100 can be found at www.theasianawards.com/
3) About Chivas: All the nominees and guests experienced a luxurious Chivas cocktail reception befitting such a prestigious celebration, as well as having the chance to sample the full Chivas range of whiskies that includes Chivas 12, 18 and 25years old – the epitome of style, substance and exclusivity. Chivas is a truly global brand, selling 4.8 million 9L cases annually in more than 150 countries acrossEurope, Asia Pacific and Americas. It was at the beginning of the 19th Century that blending pioneers James and John Chivas, two brothers from Aberdeen in Scotland, first combined different matured whiskies to create a unique ‘house’ character, setting a standard that would be handed down through the generations. In 1909, Chivas Brothers made distilling history by creating the world’s first luxury Scotch whisky – a 25 year old blend called Chivas Regal. This sophisticated whisky took America by storm and went on to become an international legend. Today, the Chivas range is the epitome of style, substance and exclusivity and includes Chivas 12, 18 and 25 Year Old. www.chivas.com