MAC Music Accessories Celebrates International Guitar Month With Free Shipping Throughout April
Started 27 years ago, International Guitar Month celebrates the #1 selling instrument in the world. The acoustic guitar, electric guitar and bass guitar bring joy to multiple generations across all genres of music.
To celebrate International Guitar Month, here a few fun facts about the guitar.
• The guitar is thought to have been invented in Malaga, Spain.
• The guitar is the #1 selling instrument.
• 20 million people in the U.S. play the guitar.
• U.S. music retailers ordered almost 2 1/2 million guitars from guitar manufacturers in 2013.*
• 54% of the guitars are acoustic guitar.
• 36% of the guitars are electric guitar.
• 10% of the guitars are bass guitar.
• Guitars represent 23.5% of retail music industry.*
•The average price for an acoustic guitar is $443.*
• The average price for an electric guitar is $421.*
• Americans spend half-a-billion-
• An informal survey of guitar players in the U.S. reveals that the most common age when guitarists begin playing is 12 years old.
• On June 7, 1993, ground was broken for the Rock n Roll Museum in Cleveland. Pete Townshend was one of the artists on hand for the event and he donated the Gibson J-200 guitar used to compose Tommy, including the classic Pinball Wizard. The museum called his donation "one of the museum’s significant donations."
• The second most expensive guitar ever sold was Jimi Hendrix’s 1968 Fender Strat which sold for $2,000,000. Click here to see the #1 most expensive guitar ever sold.
• The first International Guitar Month was celebrated in 1987.
Happy International Guitar Month!
* The Acoustic Guitars category includes banjos, dobros, mandolins, and other acoustic fretted instruments, excluding ukuleles. The Electric Guitars category includes electric basses. Source:
Page Updated Last on: Apr 03, 2014