Spend Palm Sunday Afternoon with The Ebony Chorale in South Florida
Sunday, April 13, 2013, 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.,The Ebony Chorale will perform a concert at Unity of Delray Beach, 101 NW 22nd St. at Swinton Ave. There is no admission charge; a free will love offering will be collected.
In addition to classic hymns and songs, as part of its goal of keeping alive an awareness of the African American heritage, the Chorale is dedicated to the preservation and performance of the Negro Spiritual, a song that grew out of the African American slavery experience. Through its performances of the spirituals, the Chorale seeks to raise, as well as reaffirm, the great tradition and contribution made to American music by African Americans. The lyrics of the spirituals not only represent religious ideals, but also carry several layers of social, political, and theological meanings.
The Ebony Chorale is made up of singers, mostly non-professional talent, who dedicate their time toward excellence in performance of choral music; their singing is for the joy and love of music.
Founded and directed by Dr. Orville T. Lawton, The Ebony Chorale debuted in1992, performing with the Florida Philharmonic Orchestra.
In July 2010, the Chorale traveled to Salzburg, Austria. The group participated in the Heritage Festival of Negro Spirituals in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. The Chorale recently returned from a singing tour in Prague, the Czech Republic, Vienna, Austria and Bratislava, Slovakia in July, 2013. A trip to Cape Town, South Africa is planned for 2015. To date, the Chorale has given over 300 performances throughout the state of Florida, as well as in Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, North Carolina, and Michigan.
This hour-long concert is in lieu of a performance during Palm Sunday morning church services.
About Unity of Delray Beach:
Unity of Delray Beach is a non-denominational church welcoming visitors and guests of all faiths to join in all of the activities offered.
• No admission charge to any events; a free will love offering is collected
• Reservations are not usually required.
• A 24 hour prayer line is available to to offer inspiration and to receive your prayers at 561-900-2559. The church website is www.unityofdelraybeach.org.
• Classes at times require books or supplies, which will be announced.
• Unity of Delray Beach is in Delray Beach, Florida, and is located between Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale on the northwest corner of 101 NW 22nd St. at Swinton Ave., 22 blocks north of Atlantic Avenue.
• For more information call the church office Mon. through Thurs., 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., at 561-276-5796 or the Chorale's Dr. Lawton at 561-601-