News By Tag
News By Place
Hotel Viking Welcomes Writers Group in March 2014 with WhatsUpNewp Tweet-Up
Accomplished group of writers will be in Newport with a performance at Redwood Library on March 27 and a WhatsUpNewp tweet-up at Hotel Viking on March 26.
“When we read about the groups live essay readings in New York, we wanted to make sure our guests and residents had an opportunity to experience their special event,” stated Marlen Scalzi, Director of Sales and Marketing at Hotel Viking, “This is a wonderful opportunity to meet accomplished writers and hear their personal stories.”
On Wednesday, March 26, the essayists will be guests at a WhatsUpNewp (@WhatsUpNewp)
On Thursday, March 27, the group will be at The Redwood Library & Athenaeum, walking distance from Hotel Viking. A wine and cheese reception will be held at 5:30 pm, followed by the talk at 6:00 pm. Free for members, $10 for non-members. Seating is limited and reservations are encouraged. For more information or to reserve your spot, call the Redwood Library at 401-847-0292, ext. 112.
"We were honored to be asked to read in Newport," said series producer/founder and essayist Claudia Gryvatz Copquin. "Reading our essays in front of appreciative, live audiences is the reason I created this tour, so we are most excited about this opportunity!"
The Living, Out Loud writers group features
- Robin Eileen Bernstein - an award-winning writer whose work has been published in CBS HealthWatch, Salute Magazine, Rensselaer Magazine, Open Salon and Long Island Business News. Salon selected one of her essays as an Editor’s Pick. She she writes executive speeches and has ghostwritten articles that appear in a variety of national trade publications.; http://www.write-
- Iyna Bort Caruso - a two-time New York Emmy Award-winning writer. Her essays have been published in The New York Times, Newsday, Skirt, Christian Science Monitor and excerpted in the anthology, “Her Fork in the Road: Women Celebrate Food and Travel.” Caruso has developed and led journal-writing workshops at Hewlett House, a resource center for cancer patients and survivors; www.iynacaruso.com
- Claudia Gryvatz Copquin - author of “The Neighborhoods of Queens”, whose award-
- Barry Dougherty - is the editor of the Friars magazine, The Epistle, and appeared as the client/host on Ghost Hunters (Syfy Channel) in his capacity as Historian of the Friars Club. He was a consultant on the PBS documentary “Make Em’ Laugh” and a panelist and judge at the NY and NJ Comedy Festivals. Dougherty is the head writer for Friars events such as the roasts of Betty White and Quentin Tarantino and testimonial dinners honoring Tom Cruise and Larry King; www.barrydougherty.com
- Paula Ganzi Licata - an award-winning essayist, reporter, and author of the memoir, “Widow 2.0.”, Licata is a frequent contributor to The New York Times -- including the highly-acclaimed Modern Love column -- and Newsday. Her work has appeared in Chicago Tribune, Bridal Guide, Baltimore Sun, Los Angeles Times and numerous other publications. HerNew York Times cover story, "At the Side of the Road, Distraction or Tribute," was featured in the book, Themes of the Times for Death and Dying. www.paulalicata.com.
About Hotel Viking
Hotel Viking is a historic hotel located in Newport, Rhode Island. Hotel Viking offers a total of 209 guest rooms and suites, and 13,400 square feet of event space, including two ballrooms. The award-winning One Bellevue Fine Dining & Seafood Restaurant offers indoor and patio dining, a seasonal roof top lounge, all-day lounge and a renowned Afternoon Tea held daily. SpaTerre features a selection of massage and skin treatments. Additional amenities include an indoor heated pool, fitness center and the historic Newport Kay Chapel. Hotel Viking is a 30-minute drive from TJ Green Airport (27 miles) in Providence and the Providence Train Station, and is driving distance from Boston (70 miles) and New York City (170 miles). For information, please contact Hotel Viking 401-847-3300 or visit online at www.hotelviking.com.
Page Updated Last on: Mar 12, 2014