News By Tag
News By Location
9 Benefits Of Getting Dental Implants
Why are there more benefits to getting dental implants over a bridge or dentures? What are the benefits? 3 commonly asked questions about dental implants.
But first we will discuss what dental implants are? Dental implants are a device that is typically made of titanium to support restorations that resemble teeth. Dental implants are usually a root-form endosseous implant, which means they are similar to an actual tooth root. Dental implants are placed within the bone and are designed to fuse with the bone, making them a permanent fixture.
Now let's discuss 9 benefits to dental implants:
1. Improved appearance. Dental implants are designed to merge with the bone, causing them to become a permanent fixture. Because of this, dental implants will look and feel like your natural teeth.
2. Convenience. Because dental implants become a permanent fixture they eliminate the inconvenience of removing dentures. Which means you won't have to deal with any messy adhesives.
3. Easier to eat. You can eat the foods you want because dental implants are a permanent fixture, unlike dentures that quite often move around your mouth when you're eating.
4. Durability. With the proper care your dental implants can last for many years, quite often a lifetime.
5. Improved Speech. An issue with dentures is that they can slip around inside your mouth, causing you to slur or mumble your words. This isn't a problem with dental implants because they are a permanent fixture and can't slip around.
6. Improved Self-Esteem. Dental implants look and feel like your own teeth, because of this you will be less self-conscience and you will smile more, adding to your self-esteem.
7. Improved Comfort. We already talked about how dental implants fuse to a bone, thus becoming a permanent fixture, thus making them far more comfortable than dentures.
8. Improved Oral Health. With dental implants you leave more of your teeth intact, which will help improve long-term oral health. With other dental procedures, for example a bridge, this isn't the case. It's also much easier to floss with dental implants, again, adding to your oral hygiene and long term heart health.
9. Prevent Bone Loss. By integrating with the jaw bone, the dental implants prevent bone loss. Since facial bone supports the skin and muscles on top of it, losing bone volume can cause your face to look prematurely aged.
So we have discussed 9 benefits of dental implants, now let's look at 3 most commonly asked questions that people have about implants.
1. Who can get dental implants? If you're healthy enough to have a routine extraction or other oral surgery, then typically you can get dental implants. Your dentist will need to check to see if your gums are healthy and there's enough bone to hold the dental implant.
2. Are dental implants very successful? In short, yes! Dental implants usually have a success rate of about 98%. The success rate varies as to where in the jaw the implant will be placed.
3. Are dental implants painful? People that have had dental implants quite often tell us that it's less painful than having your tooth extracted.
When looking for a dentist that does dental implants, try and find one that has been doing the procedure for several years and keeps up on the latest research and techniques. Both Dr.'s Mulvany and Novelen have been placing implants for over 15 years and regularly attend continuing education courses on this procedure.
At Acacia Dental Group we do all portions of the dental implant procedure in-office. There is no need to go to multiple locations, we do the 3D imaging, grafting (if needed), surgical implant placement, and placement of the final cosmetic restoration.
Acacia Dental Group