News By Tag
News By Place
The Green Nursery eBook Makes it Easy to Go Green For Baby
Today there are more than 80,000 chemicals registered for use with the EPA. Few of these have ever been tested for safety, and a shocking number of them are found in our own homes. Furniture, paint, flooring – even crib mattresses – contain a host of potentially toxic chemicals, including flame-retardants, stain- and water-resistant chemicals, phthalates, asthma-inducing VOCs and cancer-causing formaldehyde. In 2011, researchers found that 80% of the children’s products they tested contained at least one chemical flame-retardant. In 2012, ABC News and the Greenguard Environmental Institute demonstrated that a newly-decorated baby nursery could emit hundreds of chemicals into the air.
There is a growing body of research suggesting we should limit our children’s exposures to these chemicals. Consider these facts:
· Infant’s lungs are still developing and they breathe about 2 times more air than adults do.
· Asthma is the leading cause of pediatric hospitalization in the U.S. with about 7 million children affected. It is known that polluted indoor air can cause asthma attacks.
· Cancer is the second-leading cause of death in children and early chemical exposures may increase lifetime cancer risks.
· Indoor air can be 2 – 5 times more polluted than outdoor air, and chemicals like flame-retardants, phthalates and stain- and water-resistant treatments can be found in house dust.
“We now know that infants and toddlers are more susceptible to chemical exposures than adults, not just because of their rapidly-developing brains and bodies, but also because of their frequent hand-to-mouth behavior,” says MIXX Modern’s Founder and President, Trina Masepohl. “Because children spend an estimated 90% of their time indoors and sleep 10-14 hours per day, it’s incredibly important to minimize the use of chemicals in the nursery.”
The Green Nursery ebook was designed with today’s busy parents in mind, offering a light, easy, yet informative read. It includes:
· An overview of the latest findings by today’s top researchers in children’s environmental health;
· The green certifications to look for when buying baby nursery products;
· Techniques to design just like a professional interior designer, using design inspirations, simple space planning tools, basic color theory and a product collage;
· A timeline to assist with project execution, plus helpful tips for easy green cleaning.
The Green Nursery is now available for Kindle on Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/
MIXX Modern Interiors, Inc. was founded in 2013 by engineer-turned-