News By Tag
News By Place
Raleigh’s all-girls schools partner for 2nd Annual Girls Leadership Summit Feb. 7-8
CONTACT: Mary Virginia Swain
PHONE: 919-412-1096 (cell) or 919-424-4034 (office)
RALEIGH, NC - Raleigh’s two all-girls schools, Saint Mary’s School and the Wake Young Women’s Leadership Academy (WYWLA) will partner for their second annual Girls Leadership Summit, Feb. 7-8, 2014. The Girls Leadership Summit is an opportunity to engage girls in a meaningful, hands-on leadership training experience.
This year's summit is entitled, “Embracing Your Voice,” and will engage participants in workshops and other hands-on experiences focusing on exploring individual voice and identity. With a goal of building girls' leadership skills, the planning committee for the summit is comprised of students from both Saint Mary's and WYWLA, who went through an application process for this opportunity. Working with the support of adults, these students plan the summit theme and activities that include a special program and community service project.
The Girls Leadership Summit takes place over a two-day period during which participants from each school move between campuses for skill-building sessions, a special Friday night program, a service activity, a community dinner and a shared overnight experience.
This year's program begins on Friday, February 7, as Saint Mary's students welcome WYWLA students for an afternoon of icebreakers and team-building activities before sharing a community dinner together. The North Carolina Theatre Conservatory will lead the girls in an interactive, small-group exploration on “embracing your voice” in Pittman Auditorium on the Saint Mary's campus Friday evening, which is followed by a student-led scavenger hunt and overnight stay.
Students depart Saint Mary's School on Saturday morning for their service project at Dress for Success Triangle NC, after which they travel to the nearby WYWLA campus to reflect on what they have experienced and learned about leadership, voice and identity. The summit concludes at noon, Saturday.
Girls Leadership Summit:
Embracing Your Voice
February 7-8, 2014
Friday, February 7
• 3 p.m. - Fresh Market Refreshment Round-up for Evening Events
• 3:30 p.m. – Wake Young Women’s Leadership Academy arrives at Saint Mary's School - Welcome and set-up| Tyler Board Room
• 4 p.m. - Icebreakers and team-building activities
• 6 p.m. – Dinner | Chan-Poyner Dining Hall, Saint Mary's campus
• 7 p.m. - N.C. Theatre Conservatory Program | Pittman Auditorium
• 8:30 - 11 p.m. -Snack | Scavenger Hunt | Movie | Overnight at Saint Mary's School
Saturday, February 8
• 8 a.m. - Breakfast | Chan-Poyner Dining Hall, Saint Mary's campus
• 8:30 a.m. - Board buses for service project | Dress for Success Triangle NC
•11:30 a.m. - Yogurt bar and snack | WYWLA campus
•11:45 a.m. - Wrap up and reflection
•12:15 p.m. - Close of Summit
Mary Virginia Swain
Page Updated Last on: Feb 06, 2014