News By Tag
News By Location
Empowered Flower Girl to host National Mentoring Month celebration
Jan. 25 Mentoring Mix & Mingle celebrates those who care about kids
The Mentoring Month Mix & Mingle, scheduled from 2 to 4 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 25, 2014, at D:hive, 1253 Woodward Ave., is free and open to the public.
Attendees will have the opportunity to:
- Mix and mingle with other youth advocates, mentors and people who care about children.
- Learn about local mentoring organizations and opportunities to make a difference.
- Hear from “Mentor Me!” author Paula Dirkes, who will lead a fun and interactive exercise.
- Meet experts who will demystify what it means to be a mentor.
- Have fun exploring the “D” and learning about cool things to do in the city.
Rasheda Kamaria, chief empowering officer and founder of Empowered Flower Girl, encourages adults of all backgrounds to consider mentoring.
“Women, men, college students, entrepreneurs, single professionals, stay-at-home parents and everyday people all have something to offer young people,” says Kamaria, who has mentored six girls since 2001. “Sometimes we underestimate ourselves and think that we’re not successful enough or cool enough to have an impact. But all it takes is a big heart and a little time to be the change in a young person’s life.
For more information or to RSVP, visit http://www.mentormixandmingle.eventbrite.com. Learn more about Empowered Flower Girl’s “Be the Change. Be a Mentor” campaign at http://www.empoweredflowergirl.com/