News By Tag
News By Place
The killer facts about Carbon Monoxide poisoning
According to the Department of Health, only in last year more than 50 people died and more than 4,000 were transported to hospital as a result of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
Badly fitted and poorly maintained central heating systems, gas cookers and gas fires can leak carbon monoxide. Since the gas is invisible and has no taste or smell it is hardly detectable without the help of the carbon monoxide alarm.
The installation of carbon monoxide detectors in properties is not currently mandatory. However, it is highly recommended that all landlords have a carbon monoxide alarm fitted- particularly those with warm air heating systems.
The CO detectors are cheap to buy at around £15 each. This is a small price to pay for the health and safety at home. It can be purchased at the DIY store, supermarket or form your energy supplier.
Research revealed that private tenants and landlords in the UK are not aware of the danger of carbon monoxide poisoning:
While 92% of Birmingham landlords admit that installing CO detectors is their responsibility only 18% put it at the top three priorities when preparing their property for rent.
In London, majority of tenants are more likely to identify the symptoms of malaria than CO poisoning. In fact, only 14% of survey respondents were able to list the symptoms which include dizziness, breathlessness, general tiredness & nausea.
Carbon monoxide detectors should be installed near or in each separate sleeping area. For an additional protection, placement of an additional carbon monoxide alarm at least 15-20 feet away from the fuel burning sources is recommended.
You can fit carbon monoxide detector in your property on your own but always follow the alarm manufacturer’
Sustainable Homes is proud to announce our National fuel poverty conference, ‘Measuring and reducing fuel poverty’ (http://www.sustainablehomes.co.uk/
Gogreen2 Marketing Ltd