News By Tag
* Spooky Reading
* Halloween Stories Kids
* Kids Scary Stories
* Halloween Stories
* Ghost Stories Chi
* More Tags...
News By Location
Kids Love a Good Scare: New eBook of Halloween Stories Delivers
Here are seven bite-sized tales that put a chill in the spine and cause a nervous laugh, without being gross, bloody, mean, or otherwise permanently scarring. Still, a good ghost story is supposed to frighten, right?
By: LD Schneider, publisher
Author Xavier Selph (get it?) offers seven original stories just in time for Halloween reading under the blankets. These moderately scary short stories provide a light fright that doesn't leave a gross after-image. Geared for 7 to 11 year olds - the age of the author's own kids - you won't find any arms being chewed off or psychos slicing and dicing teenagers out partying late at night. At the same time, the stories avoid the silly or dumbed-down spookiness that some children's Halloween stories tend towards. The language is pitched for reading by adults to kids, or for older kids to read for themselves.
The seven stories include:
1. The Pumpkin Man - Halloween is the only time dad feels truly alive.
2. Forgetful - An atmospheric story about Megan remembering who she isn't any more.
3. Workin’ At the Car Wash - You can't be too clean, or can you?
4. Learning to Play the Violin - That racket could raise the dead.
5. Overflow Parking - Think about where you park before you go into the store.
6. Burial Cloth - A story about art that serves a purpose.
7. What Monster? - An atmospheric story about a princess who gets her feelings hurt.
To get your kid's chill on, visit and download Shivers: Short and Slightly Scary Stories ($1.99) at http://Amazon.com and read instantly on your computer, phone, or Kindle.