News By Tag
News By Place
National Black Marathoners Association Announces 2013 Black Distance Runner Hall of Fame Inductees
The National Black Marathoners Association selected the Inaugural National Black Distance Runner Hall of Fame honorees. The recipients will be celebrated at the NBMA Hall of Fame Banquet on Nov. 15 at the Imani Center Banquet Hall in Richmond, VA.
The banquet is held in conjunction with the NBMA Annual Gathering at the Anthem Richmond Marathon with the support of the Sports Backers.
The honorees (and a few of their many accomplishments)
Trail Blazers Award – Based on involvement in the running community before 2004.
Ms. Marilyn Bevans of Baltimore, MD
- Ranked as one of the world's top ten fastest marathoners (1977).
- Won the 1977 and 1979 Maryland Marathons.
- Second place at the 1977 Boston Marathon in 2:51:12.
Mr. Ted Corbitt (late) of New York City, NY
- Considered to be one of the fathers of modern day distance running in the USA.
- Was the second person in the world and the first Black to run over 100 marathons and ultras (1966).
- Became the first African American to represent USA in the Olympic Marathon (1952).
Long Distance Runner Award - The candidate must have been a NBMA member for at least five years.
Mr. Frederick F. Davis III of Cleveland, OH
- Member of Cleveland's Team Marathon
- Completed over 450 marathons and ultramarathons.
- Won age group awards.
- Finished marathons in all 50 States.
Ms. Angela Ivory (late) of Nashville, TN
- Completed 303 marathons and ultramarathons.
- Finished marathons in all 50 States. Possibly the first Black female.
Running Community Service Award
Ms. Frances Gilbert of Cincinnati, OH
- Co-Founder of Cincinnati's Avondale Running Club in 1984. They started running together in 1980.
- Flying Pig Marathon Board member, since 1999.
- Completed over 300 road races.
- Won over 150 trophies.
Mr. Warren Elzy of Cleveland, OH
- Co-Founder of Cleveland’
- Received countless awards for top three age group finishes at various race distances.
- Finished many races in the top 3% to 5% overall and was the overall winner in some races.
- Completed over 30 marathons with a 2:37:37 personal best in 1989.
Running Club Award - South Fulton Running Partners (of Atlanta, GA)
Page Updated Last on: Aug 03, 2013