Hepatitis A, E and Typhoid are the hygiene markers of a city
By: HEART CARE FOUNDATION OF INDIA
Dr. Aggarwal said that food and water–borne diseases can be eradicated by the following public awareness formula: When in doubt follow the principle, "heat it, boil it, cook it, peel it or forget it". Explaining this, Dr, Aggarwal said that in an unhygienic environment, one can eat an orange or a banana but not tomato or apple. Other steps are:
1. Do not take salad that has been left open for more than 2 hours even if it is washed properly.
2. Do not take cooked food that has been left on the table for more than two hours.
3. Vegetables grown under the ground or over the surface of the ground should be washed properly before eating them raw. They may be the biggest source of worm infection in the brain, a condition called neurocysticercosis.
4. Boiled water is the safest water to drink.
5. Ice made from unhygienic water can be the source of most water–borne diseases.
6. It is our duty to keep our home and city as clean as possible. We must regard our city as our extended home, a garden as our farmhouse and roads as are our personal walking tracks.
Most food and water-borne diseases are self–inflicted and can be managed by a simple step of washing the hands before and after using the toilet and before and after consuming any food, added Dr Ajay Kumar, Sr. Gastroenterologist at Apollo Hospital, New Delhi.
About HCFI : The only National Not for profit NGO, on whose mega community health education events, Govt. of India has released two National commemorative stamps and one cancellation stamp, and who has conducted one to one training on” Hands only CPR” of 30214 people since 1st November 2012.
The CPR 10 Mantra is – “within 10 minutes of death, earlier the better; at least for the next 10minutes, longer the better; compress the centre of the chest of the dead person continuously and effectively with a speed of 10x10 i.e. 100 per minute.”
About the author: Padmashri & Dr. B.C. Roy National Awardee, Dr. KK Aggarwal is a Senior Consultant, Physician, Cardiologist at Delhi based Moolchand Medcity; President Heart Care Foundation of India; Chairman Ethical Committee Delhi Medical Council and Has served as the Research and Academic Wing Heads of National Indian Medical Association.
Page Updated Last on: Mar 12, 2013