News By Tag
News By Place
6 Strategies for Effective Sales Rep Coaching
With the pressure of selling and closing more deals to increase top line growth, it is important that managers effectively coach their reps. Using the best practices below, managers can focus more on how to sell rather than what to sell.
Inefficient rep coaching results in: poor sales performance, high rep turnover, increased recruiting, on-boarding and training costs, and opportunity costs from slower rep ramp times. From the many conversations with customers, we have found 6 best practices that allow you to transform the way you coach your reps that solve many of these problems.
1. Review performance against targets
2. Review status of last week's assignments
3. Ensure rep is focusing on winnable deals
4. Identify stale, stuck, and expired deals
5. Identify behavior and skills issues (i.e., Is the rep following up on deals and logging the information you want in your CRM system?)
6. Make new assignments with specific and time-bound deliverables
Armed with a better understanding of what’s happening, you can do away with the old ways of rep coaching where you talk about what you are going to sell and instead focus on how you are going to sell to specific opportunities. Most of the best practices listed above can be done without a business intelligence solution. However, focusing on winnable deals and identifying risk in your pipeline will be enhanced by the use of a business intelligence application. Business intelligence solutions increase your visibility into your pipeline risk and changes, effectively removing the reporting and interpretation barriers to focus on how to close the specific deals in the pipeline.