News By Tag
News By Location
Nonprofit event to benefit artisans in Pakistan
March 14-17, 2013, Fair & Square Imports of McKinney, TX, is partnering with Ten Thousand Villages (a national 501c3 fair trade nonprofit) to host a Fair Trade Oriental Rug Event at Fair & Square’s storefront in downtown McKinney.
A large number of hand-knotted rugs will be brought in from an artisan group named Bunyaad (meaning “Foundation”
Ten Thousand Villages works closely with Bunyaad to ensure that fair trade principles are upheld throughout the entire rug making process. Fair trade is a system that not only aims to pay fair wages, but also ensures safe working conditions, no child exploitation, and much more.
Each rug at the March Rug Event will be fair trade, hand-knotted, and made of 100% wool or silk knots. Rugs range from 2’x3’ to 10‘x14’. Runners range from 6’ to over 13’. Most rugs have considerably high knot counts.
Throughout the year, Fair & Square Imports carries home goods, decor, jewelry, coffee, accessories, gifts, cultural treasures, and much more--all fair trade.
• Fair & Square Imports - 219 E. Louisiana Street, Downtown McKinney, Texas 75069
• Thursday–Saturday 10–9 and Sunday 10–6
• Wine & Chocolate Evening Rug Preview: Thursday, March 14 at 6 p.m. Learn how Oriental rugs are made and hear how fair trade makes a difference both in Oriental rug quality and in artisans' lives. Admission is free, but please call or email for reservations (469-343-4421 (tel:%28469-343-
• Video - Intro to Bunyaad Rugs: http://www.youtube.com/
• Ten Thousand Villages/Bunyaad:
• Event Sites:
• Facebook Event: http://www.facebook.com/
• Pictures: https://docs.google.com/