News By Tag
News By Place
Onesixtyfourth’s CultureQ Research Shows Why Brands Are Like ‘Friends’
Young consumers want relationships with brands they can touch and interact with in their lives
For example, recent CultureQ research shows that, on average, Millennials are deeply committed to just 12 brands. Almost 75% of Millennials in the UK and 69% of Gen Y’ers in the U.S. find cheating on their favorite brands “unimaginable.”
The brands they classify as favorites include such segment-dominant brands as Apple, Amazon, Coca-Cola, Google, Nike and Microsoft as well as more niche names like J. Crew’s Madewell retail brand; Supreme, the cultish street-wear retailer; and Trader Joe’s, among others – but not necessarily because of big marketing budgets, notes Anne Bahr Thompson, Founding Partner of Onesixtyfourth.
“Big ad spends are not enough to sustain the relationship,”
According to Ms. Bahr Thompson, some motivational states of Millennials to consider in your branding include:
• Treat them as a valued friend, not a consumer – Curate individualized experiences based on what you know about their interests.
• Mirror their personal values – Millennials have the strongest connections with brands that mirror their personal values and interests.
• Make them proud – Being accepted by the group is a more natural state for Millennials than being the lone promoter.
• Make their life less complicated – Millennials see their favorite brands as essential hubs through which they manage their daily routine.
• Deliver what you promise – Trust is based in consistency and Millennials become disconnected from brands when the delivery doesn’t match with them.
CultureQ reports are available individually or as a subscription service with opportunities for customization. For more information about CultureQ, visit http://www.onesixtyfourth.com.
Onesixtyfourth is a trend-based, brand and communications strategy boutique that connects brand values with people’s values. Onesixtyfourth specializes in insight, foresight, strategy, and innovation and focuses on making it easier for brands to reach, communicate, and interact with customers.
212-537-5177, Ext 7