Fast and Furious Pianist Jade Simmons to Have Run of Motor City Valentine's Weekend
Versatile classical concert pianist Jade Simmons will play 4 concerts Valentine's weekend in Detroit starting with a two-set show at the Detroit Institute of Art and concluding with an appearance at Orchestra Hall with the Sphinx Symphony Orchestra.
• Friday, Feb.15th, 2013 9am Jade will perform live on Fox 2 TV (WJBK)
• Friday, Feb.15th, 2013 11am Jade will perform live on WDET (101.9FM)
• Friday, Feb.15th, 2013 7:00pm & 8:30pm DIA Friday Night Live she'll go from Rachmaninoff to Rap in two unique sets
• Sunday, Feb.17th, 2013 1pm DIA's Sunday Music Bar she'll play mostly Classical works as well as some on the spot interactive improvisation.
• Sunday, Feb.17th, 2013 2pm Orchestra Hall with the Sphinx Symphony Orchestra. Jade will perform as guest soloist in the finale of Gershwin's Concerto in F for the conclusion of the 16th Annual Sphinx Competition Finals Concert, hosted by the Detroit Symphony.
The Rachmaninoff to Rap concerts at the DIA will feature music for piano and electronics from Simmons' current release Playing with Fire (Superwoman Records) which spans Classical, Hip Hop, Jazz, Bossa nova, electronic music and rap. She'll also include selections from her popular program the Paganini Project which highlights virtuoso sets of Paganini variations and Simmons' Electronic Improvisations on a Tune by Rachmaninoff. Both Playing with Fire and Paganini Project feature beats created for Jade by Roburt Reynolds which she'll control from her laptop. Each set on Jade's Friday Night Live appearance will be unique.
With the Sphinx organization, Jade shares a mission in fostering diversity in Classical music. She'll take to the stage with a unique all Black and Latino orchestra comprised of top professionals from around the country under the direction of Maestro Anthony Elliott. The concert will also feature the finalists of the 16th Annual Sphinx competition. This will be Jade's 3rd appearance at the DIA and her first with Sphinx and will serve as her debut in Orchestra Hall. To learn more about Sphinx, visit: http://www.sphinxmusic.org/
About Jade: Yamaha calls her a "musical force of nature". Always on display is a powerful combination of passion and innovation that easily makes Jade Simmons one of the most exciting and versatile artists on the scene today. For her work on and away from the stage, Essence magazine featured Jade alongside First Lady Michelle Obama and Olympic gold medalist Gabby Douglas as a part of their Style & Substance List. Additionally, she has been recognized by Symphony Magazine, Ebony magazine’s Top 30 Leaders under 30, named Houston’s Best Arts Ambassador and affectionately labeled Classical Music's "No.1 Maverick" by arts journalist and music critic Greg Sandow. For more info on Jade Simmons, visit http://www.jademedia.org
All DIA concerts are FREE, visit http://www.dia.org/
Page Updated Last on: Feb 11, 2013