News By Tag
News By Location
Spread the Love — Not the Chocolate and Candy — to Your Pets!
Central Veterinary Associates Provides Valentine’s Day Safety Tips for Your Pets
● Keep all candy, especially chocolate, away from your pet. Chocolate contains theobromine, which can be toxic to pets. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea or a rapid heartbeat, and possibly death.
● Keep lollipops and any candy with sticks out of your pet’s reach. These sticks, if swallowed, can potentially block or cut through an area from the stomach to the intestines.
● Dispose of empty candy wrappers. These materials cannot be digested and may cause a blockage or inflammation of the stomach and intestines.
● Be careful of sugar-free candy, as it can be toxic to your pet if it contains the ingredient xylitol.
“I’m always surprised how many pets get sick from candy during Valentine’s Day,” says Dr. Aaron Vine (http://www.centralvets.com/
It is extremely important that, if your pet ingests chocolate, candy containing xylitol, or is acting sick, they be brought to your veterinarian immediately.
Central Veterinary Associates’ Valley Stream office (http://www.centralvets.com/