News By Tag
* Duct Cleaning
* More Industries...
News By Place
Northwest Indiana Dryer Vent Safety
In 2010 washing machines and clothes dryers caused an estimated 16,800 home fires and caused $236 million in damage. Learn how to prevent dryer fires and what to do if you think you have a problem.
For most people doing laundry is an everyday chore that just has to get done. What people do not realize is how important it is to properly maintain your dryer and washer. Whether it is a lint build up in your dryer or dryer vent, or washing clothes that have come in contact with flammable substances, there are hidden dangers that can be avoided.
What to look for.
According to AmeriClean of Merrillville, IN there are some very basic steps that you can take to help reduce the risk of a dryer or washing machine fire. Some of these are:
- Have your dryer and washing machine professionally installed and always read the operating manual before using a new appliance
- Always clean your dryer’s lint screen before each load and never use a dryer without a lint screen
- Make sure your dryer’s exhaust pipe is not restricted and the outdoor vent flap opens properly when the dryer is running
- Gas dryers should be inspected by a professional to make sure the gas line and connection are leak free
- Keep the area around your dryer free of potential flammable materials
How do you know if your dryer vent needs to be cleaned?
According to AmeriClean, one of the most commons signs that your dryer vent needs to be cleaned is the clothes being wet at the end of the drying cycle. If a dryer is working properly, a normal load of clothes should be dry in one cycle. When the dryer vent has reduced airflow, it decreases the effectiveness of the dryer and causes drying times to increase. If you notice that clothes are wet at the end of a drying cycle on a regular basis, you should have your dryer vent professionally inspected and cleaned. AmeriClean recommends that the average home have their dryer vent cleaned annually and commercial dryer vents be cleaned or inspected every six months.
For additional information regarding Dryer and washing machine safety, please visit www.888ductdoc.com
Since 1986, AmeriClean has provided cleaning and restoration services to residents of Northwest Indiana and South Chicagoland. We are proud to be a family owned and operated business and take pride in serving our community. Our cleaning services include Carper & Upholstery, Dryer Vent & Air Duct, Oriental Rugs, Hard Surface, Fire & Water Damage Restoration, and Mold Remediation.
1565 E. 91st Avenue
Merrillville, IN 46410