News By Tag
News By Place
Blue Coat Enables Businesses to Embrace Web and Cloud-based Applications
New Updates for PacketShaper Appliances Deliver Visibility into and Control over Emerging Shadow IT Infrastructures
Increasingly, employees look to Web and cloud-based applications to increase their productivity, yet IT typically cannot see or control these applications. As a result, they can consume a disproportionate amount of corporate bandwidth and impact the performance of other mission-critical applications. The new PacketShaper enhancements include:
· Granular application and operation visibility: PacketShaper appliances now classify Web, native mobile and mobile browser applications and their operations, providing businesses with a comprehensive, detailed view of traffic on the corporate network.
· Group and user-level control: PacketShaper appliances now provide businesses with the ability to set granular group or user-level policies that assure a high quality experience for users that rely on Web and cloud-based applications to do their jobs.
· Aggregate view of user-level activity: The new enhancements also provide an aggregate view of a user’s activity across all the devices they are using on the network, giving businesses the comprehensive information they require to set appropriate quality of service policies.
“As an integrator of IT and audio systems for super yachts, Van Berge Henegouwen’s objective is to deliver an online user experience for the owner that rivals what is available in their home,” said Andre Klepper, IT manager, Van Berge Henegouwen.
“PacketShaper offers the ability to prioritize traffic on board any vessel and allocate the appropriate bandwidth to critical applications and communication apps, while maximizing the Internet experience for the owners. Understanding bandwidth being used by specific crew members allows the on-board engineer to better manage tradeoffs.”
With the new PacketShaper enhancements, businesses can embrace new Web and cloud applications that their employees require to be efficient in their jobs without ceding control of the network. To do this, the PacketShaper appliances allow businesses to do the following:
· Better understand how users, applications and operations are consuming bandwidth
· Prioritize and guarantee bandwidth for critical application operations on a targeted group and user basis, enabling a better user experience for employees
· Identify and contain unsanctioned application use cases
The granular application and operation controls combined with the ability to set quality of service policies at the user level allow enterprises to guarantee bandwidth for IT mandated Web and cloud-based applications and operations, resulting in a better user experience that will encourage adoption of preferred applications. For example, a business could prioritize the uploading and downloading of files from Box.com while limiting those operations for other online storage sites that the company hasn’t standardized on.
These new advances also provide businesses with a powerful tool for managing complex, mixed-use Web applications such as Facebook or YouTube. With user-level policies, businesses can provide employees in the marketing group with guaranteed bandwidth to upload videos. This granular control allows businesses to open their networks to mixed-use applications without compromising the performance of other mission-critical business applications.
“BYOD, social networking and complex Web applications with business and non-business uses have a major impact on bandwidth budgets and application performance, yet businesses typically lack visibility into and control over the shadow IT infrastructures that they introduce to the corporate network,” said Mark Urban, senior director of product marketing, Blue Coat Systems. “PacketShaper is changing that dynamic by shedding light on these shadow infrastructures and giving businesses the ability to embrace these technologies and empower their employees.”
PacketShaper appliances classify all applications on the network and are integrated into the Blue Coat WebPulse service (http://bluecoat.com/
The PacketShaper 9.2 software update is now available to all customers with a current service agreement.
About Blue Coat Systems
Blue Coat Systems provides Web security and WAN optimization solutions to 86 percent of FORTUNE Global 500 companies. As the market share leader in the secure web gateway market, Blue Coat sets the standard for enterprise security. Its solutions provide the visibility, protection and control required to optimize and secure the flow of information to any user, on any network, anywhere. For additional information, please visit www.bluecoat.com.
Blue Coat and the Blue Coat logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of Blue Coat Systems, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the United States and certain other countries. All other trademarks mentioned in this document are the property of their respective owners.
For more information, please contact:
Manal Abi Rafeh
Blue Coat Systems ME
Telephone: +971 4 3911620
Fax: +971 4 3911635