News By Tag
News By Location
Public Engagement And Acceptance Play Huge Role In Developing Successful Nuclear Power Programme
Focus on nuclear new builds at Nuclear Power Asia in Kuala Lumpur in January
Focusing on new builds, the conference will be the platform for regulators, nuclear energy agencies and operators to discuss challenges and opportunities that countries looking at establishing a nuclear power programme are facing.
“It is clear that public engagement and acceptance still play a huge role for any country looking at establishing a nuclear power programme”, says Daria La Valle, Programme Manager for Nuclear Power Asia. “The Fukushima event has strongly influenced the public opinion, fuelling anti-nuclear sentiments in the general public.”
“The issues of siting as well as fuel and waste management need to be addressed properly in order to develop a successful nuclear power programme” adds La Valle, “Countries like the UAE set an example in this sense where a very successful public engagement campaign has allowed the national nuclear energy company to embark on one of the most successful nuclear power programmes that we have seen in a while.”
Overview of nuclear new build in Asia
- Malaysia plans to have 2GW nuclear by 2020. It has completed preliminary feasibility study and preliminary site selection & ranking, and its government will make a decision by 2014 to proceed with its nuclear programme.
- China has over 20 reactors under construction and the nation aims to have a nuclear-generating capacity of 80GW by 2020.
- Indonesia aims to build up to four nuclear power stations by 2025.
- Vietnam intends to build 8 by 2030. The first of Vietnam's plants will be ready by 2020.
- South Korea has 6 units under construction with 10 under planning.
Nuclear Power Asia 2013 Speaker Highlighths:
- Dr. Zamzam Jaafar, CEO, Malaysia Nuclear Power Corporation, Malaysia
- Dr. Nor Azlan bin Mostafa, Head of Nuclear Energy Unit, Tenaga Nasional Berhad, Malaysia
- Supapol Ratanakorn, Assistant Director of Nuclear Engineering Division, Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT), Thailand
- Alexander Superfin, CEO, Akkuyu NGS Elektrik Üretim A.Ş., Turkey
- Gérald Ouzounian, International Director, National Agency for Radioactive Waste Management (ANDRA), France
- A. S. M. Firoz, Chairman, Atomic Energy Commission, Bangladesh
- Valerie Levkov, Vice President, New Nuclear Project Development, Électricité
- Donald Hoffman, President and CEO of EXCEL Services Corporation and Vice President/President Elect of the American Nuclear Society, USA
- Kumiaki Moriya, Corporate Chief Engineer, Hitachi-GE Nuclear Energy, Japan
- Dr. Kazuaki Yanagisawa, Principal Engineer/Principal Researcher, Office of Policy Planning and Administration Dep., Japan Atomic Energy Agency (JAEA), Japan
- Dr. Keung Koo Kim, Director, SMART PM, Advanced Reactor Development, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute (KAERI), South Korea
- Fiona Reilly, Partner, Head of Nuclear Services, Norton Rose LLP, UK
- George Borovas, Head of International Nuclear Projects, Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman, UK
- Nick Carter, Director General, Regulation and Supervision Bureau, UAE
- Yury Sokolov, Vice President, Global Nuclear Infrastructure, Rosatom Overseas, Russia
- Scott Flanders, Director, Division of Site and Environmental Analysis, Office of New Reactors, U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, USA
- Stuart Cloke, Senior Director & Company Secretary, World Nuclear Association (WNA), UK
Nuclear Power Asia
Now in its fourth year, Nuclear Power Asia is a must attend event for the international and regional stakeholders within the nuclear power industry. The 2013 edition returns to Kuala Lumpur in January with a focus on key and pressing issues as well as the latest developments facing the nuclear power industry in Asia. With 300 expected attendees, and a targeted exhibition, Nuclear Power Asia 2013 will continue to be the region’s premier conference and exhibition for the nuclear power community.
Event dates and location -
For more information, interviews and media accreditation -
Clarion Events Pte Ltd
Tel: +65 6590 3970
Fax: +65 6223 9196