News By Tag
News By Place
The Orthotics revolution !!!! By Dr Les Bailey phd,DO,acopm,apta ( int part ). Les Bailey Orthotics
Orthotics have taken off in a huge way worldwide. The last 10 years have seen a major growth in prescription and off the shelf orthotics. Dr Les Bailey phd,DO,acopm,apta ( int part )..... A Les Bailey Orthotics article.Woodmansterne/Banstead, surrey
Orthotics...What did this word conjure up for people 30 years ago?
Perhaps steel inserts, or clumsy and thick orthotics that could only, at best, be worn in shoes two sizes too big for your feet.
I remember my friend having some steel orthotics provided by the local NHS chiropodist.
They were crude arch supports with no thought for rear foot or forefoot posting, and certainly no sign of the accomodations and the comfortable top covers of today.
My earlier article," The history of foot orthotics"
looks at even earlier efforts at orthotic manufacture and prescription and what the public endured in the hope of a cure for foot pain.
The public have become more savvy to orthotics nowadays, and my own book "the laymans guide to foot and heel pain" sold in excess of 35,000 copies where I taught the lay person the dangers of off- the- shelf orthotics.
Those more " in the know " are going for prescription orthotics, shunning the prefabricated orthotics of chemist shops and newspaper adverts.
It is of utmost importance to find a practitioner who specialises in prescription orthotics and takes either a cast or laser scan of the feet.
My own vast experience favours semi flexible orthotics, except in very rare cases where rigidity of material is paramount.
The plastics of today enable prescription orthotics to be very thin and fit nicely into existing shoes. They are very different to those orthotics of yesteryear, and patients are rarely having problems wearing them.
My earlier article " prescription orthotics versus prefabricated orthotics" aroused alot of interest among the public.
As people wise up to the problems that can be created by using prefabricated orthotics, the market for these will shrink, and prescription orthotics will become the norm.
Dr Les Bailey phd,DO,acopm,apta ( int part )
A Les Bailey orthotics article 2012
About Dr Les Bailey phd,DO, acopm.apta(int part)
Direct phone number 07801418080
Dr Les Bailey began in physical therapies in 1981,qualifying in remedial massage,and later going on to qualify as an osteopath.
He gained his phd from OIUCM for a thesis on the treatment of plantar fasciitis.
He was awarded a teaching/lecturing diploma from the northern school of osteopaths in 1993.
He also holds a diploma in foot biomechanics .
Dr Les Bailey works from his clinic near Banstead in surrey.
- Andrew still college osteopaths diploma 1983
- Qualified osteopathy 1993 northern college of osteopaths (DO).
- Awarded teaching/lecturer diploma northern college of osteopaths 1993 where I was a senior lecturer for 3 years.
- remedial massage diploma first awarded 1981 (London academy of massage and physical culture)
- Phd awarded by thesis from OIUCM 2009 for research into plantar fasciitis
- Awarded lifetime membership medicina alternativa 1992
- Awarded the fellowship international lasertherapy association 1994
- Diploma in manipulative medical science 1991 (medicina alternativa)
- Former adviser on standards in therapy at the institute of complimentary medicine.
- Certificate in acupuncture for musculoskeletal pain control 1995
- Diploma in biomechanics DipBmec,college of foot health practitioners 2008
Page Updated Last on: Nov 14, 2012