News By Tag
News By Location
Francis Collins, Director of the National Institutes for Health USA, says families and communit
Francis Collins shares the lessons gained after years of research:
● For real change, individuals need to get past the crash-diet mentality to a lifestyle plan of healthy eating and increased physical activity.
● People need tools that can assist them in making these changes, including support groups and Web- or cellphone-based tools that allow tracking of diet and exercise to provide feedback.
● Families are crucial — unless the whole family gets involved in a plan to adopt a healthier lifestyle, it will be difficult for the individual to succeed.
● Communities are essential to success. Public education programs are critical.
● Redesigning the built environment to promote active lifestyles and access to healthy foods needs to be a priority; schools need to develop healthier lunch programs and access to physical education.
● Businesses that get engaged in providing incentives for a healthy lifestyle are finding that this yields results in productivity and reduced health care costs.
● National policies need to promote healthy eating and active lifestyles instead of working against them.