News By Tag
News By Location
IT in Emerging Markets is Focus of October Computing Now Theme
Computing Now, the one-stop source for free, limited-time access to tech articles from IEEE Computer Society's peer-reviewed magazines.
"IT's role and growth in emerging markets will be significant, offering IT professionals, educators, researchers, and businesses the chance to help create a better world in which the power of IT is harnessed to lift the socioeconomic status of the two-thirds of the global population that is largely at the bottom of the pyramid," said Murugesan. "To harness the potentials that emerging markets present, IT applications must be relevant to the users' real needs, have local significance, offer value, and be affordable."
Computing Now's IT in Emerging Markets includes the following articles:
* "IT in India (http://www.computer.org/
* "ICT Trends in Brazil (http://www.computer.org/
* "Cloud Computing in Taiwan (http://www.computer.org/
* "Mobile Payments in Emerging Markets," in which Nir Kshetri and Sharad Acharya present an overview of m-payment systems in Africa, Asia, and Latin America, highlighting kony that person-to-person money transfer offers financial services to users without traditional bank accounts;
* "Making Technology Invisible in the Developing World," in which Gary Marsden and his colleagues report on three projects—Spoken Web and Pragati, both based in India, and Big Board in South Africa—that provide convenient and affordable access to a wide range of data sources;
* "Tracking Water Collection in Rural Ethiopia," in which Rohit Chaudhri and his colleagues describe a mobile-phone-
* "How ICTs Affect Democracy and Corruption in Emerging Societies," in which Daniel Soper and Haluk Demirkan examine the extent to which information and communication technologies have affected democracy and political corruption in emerging societies.
To access and comment on the articles, visit http://www.computer.org/
The IEEE Computer Society's IT Professional magazine has been publishing articles highlighting how IT helps emerging markets in its "IT in Emerging Markets" Department/Column, since January 2011. The column is edited by Murugesan.
Computing Now's IT in Emerging Markets collection is just one way that IEEE Computer Society is striving to fulfill IEEE's mission of being dedicated to advancing technological innovation and excellence for the benefit of humanity. As an example of the humanitarian projects underway, IEEE recently partnered with Sirona to install six solar charging trailers in Haiti to light 240 customer homes and six small businesses. Visit YouTube to view a video (http://www.youtube.com/
About the IEEE Computer Society
The IEEE Computer Society (http://www.computer.org/)