News By Tag
* Beverly Hills Cardiologist
* Beverly Hills Cardiology
* Cardiology Intervention Beverly Hills
* More Tags...
News By Location
Carotid Angioplasty and Stenting Procedure
If the carotid arteries are clogged, it can be extremely dangerous because blood will have trouble moving upward, meaning the brain will not receive the oxygen and nutrient rich blood that it needs to function properly.
The following are some of the common symptoms individuals experience when suffering from clogged carotid arteries:
· Slurred speech lasting anywhere from a brief moment all the way up to a 24 hour period.
· Blurred vision or temporary blindness in one or both eyes, making it difficult to complete daily activities.
· Decrease in motor coordination skills, usually occurring on one side of the body.
· Muscle weakness or numbness occurring in your limbs or face.
· Dizziness or confusion.
Clogged carotid arteries are extremely dangerous as blood flow to the brain is limited or can even be momentarily interrupted, so see a cardiovascular surgeon in Beverly Hills if experiencing any of the above symptoms. When the brain tissues don’t receive the oxygen and nutrients needed to operate, they shut down and result in a stroke. Brain cells begin to die within minutes and brain damage can occur, meaning abilities such as speech, movement or memory can be lost forever.
Up to 80 percent of strokes are preventable, so it’s important to see a cardiovascular surgeon in Beverly Hills if experiencing any symptoms of clogged carotid arteries. If an individual has already experienced a stroke, it is even more important to seek treatment in order to reduce risk of a second stroke.
Carotid angioplasty is a procedure that will be used by a cardiovascular surgeon in Beverly Hills for the treatment of stroke or stroke prevention. It is much less invasive than traditional surgery, as only a small cut is made in the blood vessel of your groin. The following steps explain what to expect during an angioplasty and stenting operation:
· Using an x-ray for guidance, a catheter is threaded through a small tube, called a sheath, and is inserted into the artery.
· A filter is then put into place to catch pieces of debris that could potentially break off inside the artery while the physician is performing the procedure.
· Next, a balloon is inserted into the narrowed artery and inflated. This inflation will widen the artery to allow for an increase in blood flow and will force all plaque to the side.
· A stent is then placed to ensure that the artery does not shrink down and narrow again.
· The sheath, catheter and filter are than removed.
· Pressure is applied at the incision site to prevent bleeding.
After this simple procedure performed by a cardiovascular surgeon in Beverly Hills, patients are typically released from the hospital with a clean bill of health within a 48 hour period. If at risk of stroke, it’s important to see a physician immediately to discuss options. It would also be beneficial to make lifestyle changes by eating a healthy diet, quitting smoking and exercising on a regular basis.
Dr. Madyoon of Beverly Hills Vein and Cardiovascular Institute is a highly accomplished cardiovascular surgeon in Beverly Hills. He is a leading specialist in the treatment of heart and vascular disease and is considered a pioneer in carotid stenting.
Beverly Hills Vein and Cardiovascular Institute has been providing quality, life-saving cardiology and vein care for patients across the country. Contact Dr. Madyoon’s office online (http://bhvci.com/
For more information on Beverly Hills Vein and Cardiovascular Institute, please visit the company’s website, at http://bhvci.com/
About Beverly Hills Vein and Cardiovascular Institute
At Beverly Hills Vein and Cardiovascular Institute, Dr. Madyoon uses an unrivaled method that breaks down the cardiovascular system into three parts and employees a comprehensive biochemical analysis of the body, providing you with the most accurate treatment for cardiovascular and venous care.