ABIH Provides Industrial Hygienists with a CIH Eligibility Self-Assessment Tool
The American Board of Industrial Hygiene (ABIH) provides industrial hygiene professionals with the key steps to CIH certification eligibility.
A Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) is an individual who has met requirements for education and experience, and through examination, has demonstrated knowledge in a number of health and safety areas. It is the highest level of certification for professionals who practice industrial hygiene. The American Board of Industrial Hygiene administers the CIH program.
To help those interested in pursuing the CIH certification the ABIH has developed an eligibility self-assessment form. To be eligible, an applicant should be able to confirm each of these requirements:
• Have at least a 4 year Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
• Have had at least 60 hours of science, math, engineering, or science-based technology.
• Have had at least 15 hours of science, math, engineering, or science-based technology at the Jr., Sr., or Graduate level.
• Have had at least 180 academic hours or 240 continuing education hours in IH coursework
• Have had at least one half of these hours in Fundamentals of IH, Toxicology, Measurements and Controls.
• Have had at least 2 hours of ethics training.
• Have at least 4 years of professional level comprehensive industrial hygiene practice. (ABET-Accredited IH program graduates may receive ½ or 1 year of experience credit).
• Have broad scope, professional level IH experience in at least two of the following occupational health stressors: Chemical, Physical, Biological or Ergonomics.
• Currently practicing industrial hygiene at the professional level.
The complete CIH Eligibility Self-Assessment Form can be viewed at:
To learn more about the CIH certification or the American Board of Industrial Hygiene, please visit http://www.ABIH.org, email abih@ABIH.org or call (517) 321-2638.
About the American Board of Industrial Hygiene
Since 1960, ABIH, a not-for-profit corporation, has been the world's largest, premier organization for certifying professionals in the practice of industrial hygiene. ABIH is responsible for ensuring high-quality certification including education, experience, examination, certification maintenance and ethics enforcement.