News By Tag
News By Location
Preventative Tips Hurricane Sandy
Preventative Hurricane Sandy Tips from Biocide Labs Early planning and preparation can be the key to your safety, it is important to use your time wisely and not wait until the last minute to ensure your family’s safety and well-being.
Early planning and preparation can be the key to your safety, it is important to use your time wisely and not wait until the last minute to ensure your family’s safety and well-being.
Here are some examples of steps you should be taking:
• Make sure you have a well-stocked Family Disaster Kit in the event you lose power or are isolated for a number of days.
• Trim back trees and shrubbery around your home. Remove diseased or damaged tree limbs that could be blown down, causing structural damage and water damage, during a storm.
• Clear clogged rain gutters. This storm brings the potential for torrential rain. Providing clear drainage will help prevent misdirected flooding, with the potential for mold problems after the storm.
• Bring in outdoor items such as lawn furniture, trash barrels, hanging plants, toys and awnings that can be broken or picked up by strong winds and used as a missile.
• Make sure storage sheds, children’s playhouses or other outbuildings are securely anchored, either to a permanent foundation or with straps and ground anchors.
• Elevate articles in your basement that could be damaged from even minor flooding, once again causing the potential for serious mold problems.
• Make temporary plywood covers to protect windows and sliding doors. Drill holes for screws or lag bolts in each cover and around each window. Note: Taping of windows does not prevent them from breaking.
• Keep you vehicles fully fuelled.
• Have a certain amount of cash available. If power is lost, ATMs may not be working.
• Make a record of your personal property. Keep an itemized list of your furniture, clothing and valuables to assist adjusters in case of a claim. Back it up with photographs or video.
• Protect your insurance policies and other important documents in a secure place like a safe deposit box or a watertight box. Many people back up important documents online.
• Learn where gas pilots and water mains are located and how to safely shut off all utilities.
• Lock doors and windows to ensure that they are closed tight to help protect against strong winds and rain and potential water damage.