News By Tag
News By Location
HIV Advocates Fight HIV Denialists With HIV Education Through Social Media
HIV denialism, disagreeing with established scientific understandings on how HIV affects health and how it is transferred, is still rampant in today’s society.
How does one identify an HIV denialist? Some of the myths of HIV denialism include:
- AIDS is a collection of existing diseases and not something new.
- HIV is harmless.
- HIV is not sexually transmitted because the infection is "too slow" amongst the heterosexual community.
- Africa is destroyed by malnutrition and unsanitary conditions, not HIV or AIDS.
- Kits used for HIV testing are flawed and unreliable.
- Drug regimens used to stop HIV do nothing but make people sick.
Scientific discoveries have proven that these myths are simply not true and, in some cases, are disrupting the progress of HIV prevention and education. HIV denialism is causing misinformation that may even take lives. HIV Advocates provides endless information on Facebook, Twitter, and Sina Weibo to help advocates reach out to HIV denialists, prevent the spread of misinformation, reduce stigma, and save more lives.
Like our HIVAdvocates on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/
Or Follow HIVAdvocates on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/
Or Join us on Sina Weibo: http://weibo.com/
Key Words: HIV, HIV advocates, HIV denialists, HIV denialism, AIDS, social media, misinformation, education, research