News By Tag
News By Location
Pennine Acute Hospitals NHS Trust Implements SMART Workforce Management Solutions from Kronos
Improving Quality of Nursing and Midwifery Staff and Patient Care
• A key element of the total solution is the SMART real-time hospital patient/nurse acuity solution, providing information on staffing levels and skills mix. When complete, the deployment of SMART which started in November 2011 will support an extensive range of nursing and midwifery services such as the specialist women’s and children’s wards, outpatients, accident and emergency, theatres and critical care.
• SMART was selected for its extensive NHS experience, excellent customer references, integrity, ease of use, and ability to integrate seamlessly with other systems such as payroll and ESR.
• Pennine Acute Hospitals went live with the SMART bank management solution in July 2012. There have been a number of benefits with the new system including the integration with
e-Rostering and the replacement of paper-based timesheets with electronic approval of shifts for payment. This has reduced errors and the potential for fraud.
• SMART e-Rostering will go live at The Royal Oldham Hospital in October 2012 in the next phase of the project.
• Pennine Acute Hospitals selected SMART to introduce a standardised rostering process; improve time management for senior staff; gain greater visibility of staff resources; reduce reliance on the use of temporary staff; and ensure quality of staff and continuity of patient care.
• Pennine Acute Hospitals has achieved a range of significant benefits since using SMART such as:
o Increased staff empowerment and engagement including out of hours access to the system and improved work/life balance;
o Fair and transparent rosters for all staff;
o Accurate, real-time management information highlighting potential risks and cost-effectiveness of rosters; and
o The successful deployment paves the way for expanding support to other areas within the Trust.
• Geoff Smith, project manager, nurse staffing and electronic rostering, Pennine Acute Hospitals NHS Trust
“The SMART solution from Kronos has had a significant impact across implemented wards enabling increased levels of transparency for all staff and providing real time management information that enables improved utilisation of staffing resources within our organisation.”
• Tristan Spencer, director, SMART, A Kronos Solution
“By optimising human and capital resources as efficiently as possible, NHS and other health organisations are able to empower staff and manage costs, yet still maintain a high standard of care for their patients. We are seeing huge interest from health boards, Trusts, and hospitals everywhere as they look for proactive ways to minimise risks to patient safety and services as well as nurture nursing talent and maximise budgets.”
• The National Health Service (NHS) is one of the largest employers in the world, and is the largest in Europe, with more than 1.3 million staff.
• Pennine Acute Hospitals NHS Trust was formed in 2001 and is the largest NHS Trust in the North West, employing more than 10,000 staff. The Trust provides modern, high-quality, patient-centred, general and specialist hospital services and treatment to approximately 800,000 residents living in the Bury, Oldham, Middleton, Rochdale, Heywood, Prestwich, and North Manchester areas.
• SMART is a workforce management solution widely used by the UK’s National Health Service (NHS). SMART enables NHS Trusts to align with the Quality, Innovation, Productivity, and Prevention by optimizing staff and ensuring that quality patient care is delivered as efficiently as possible. To learn more about the SMART solution, visit www.smart-rostering.co.uk.
• Kronos acquired SMART in April 2012.
• Connect with Kronos via Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, and YouTube.
• Subscribe to our workforce management blogs.
• Take a look at the lighter side of workforce management in our Time Well Spent cartoons.
About Kronos Incorporated
Kronos is the global leader in delivering workforce management solutions in the cloud. Tens of thousands of organizations in more than 100 countries — including more than half of the Fortune 1000® — use Kronos to control labor costs, minimize compliance risk, and improve workforce productivity. Learn more about Kronos industry-specific time and attendance, scheduling, absence management, HR and payroll, hiring, and labor analytics applications at www.kronos.com. Kronos: Workforce Innovation That Works™.
© 2012 Kronos Incorporated. All rights reserved. Kronos is a registered trademark of Kronos Incorporated or a related company. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.
SMART, A Kronos Solution
+44 (0)1438 822229
+44 (0) 1491 639500