Act before time passes by.....
Did you know? India suffers a staggering hit of Rs.1 lakh crore - every year due to road accidents, according to the International Road Federation report. And its in our hands to prevent it
Did you know? India suffers a staggering hit of Rs.1 lakh crore - every year due to road accidents, according to the International Road Federation report.
According to Planning Commission studies during 2001-2003, that is nearly a decade ago, the total losses to the economy due to road accidents in the year 1999-2000 were pegged at Rs.55,000 crore -, some three percent of the country's GDP.
This means the losses have almost doubled in the last decade. The losses take into account victim-related costs, property damage and administration costs.
What we can do?
● Stop Drunken Driving – Though the police is doing its job, it becomes our moral responsibility to follow the rules in letter & spirit because when we are behind the wheels, we are not only responsible for our lives but others on the road as well.
● Be Pro-active – If you witness an accident, take the initiative to call an Ambulance than waiting for someone ywluwy else which will lead to wasting time during this critical moment. Just dialling 1298 or 108 at this juncture is all that would take to get immediate help.
● Wait for an Ambulance – In severe cases, it’s preferable to wait for an Ambulance as the paramedics are equipped to handle the victims in emergency situations, thus avoiding further damage. Before the Ambulance reaches the spot providing the basic First Aid would also minimize the loss. Now a days the Ambulances are equipped with the latest technology to run initial scans /treatment on the way to hospital, thus being the difference between life & death.
● Be Patient - The short temper on roads and low regard for traffic rules, by both motorists and pedestrians is a common sight these days. The rules learnt as a child still hold good. Starting early for the destination would result in a happy commute for everyone.
● Be safe: A helmet not only makes you safe but also adds to your look. Grab one from the range of sturdy and well designed ones and get ready to make heads turn. Do remember to fasten your seat belts whether you are behind the steering wheel or sitting on the passenger seat. (PS: don’t forget the ISI approval )
Most of the problems that we face can be resolved by practising little discipline on our part. And in this case, not only will it save crores to our economy but the priceless smile of a child, joy of a wife & security of a family.
The author Dr. Vaishali who is a veteran in Emergency Medical Response Services Hospital Care from Ziqitza Health Care Limited, pioneer in the field of Emergency Medical Response Services.