News By Tag
News By Location
Ryder System, Inc. Selected for 2012 GMSHRM ‘Diversity In Action’ Award
Greater Miami Society for Human Resource Management Recognizes Ryder with its 7th Annual Diversity and Inclusion Award Ceremony, on September 24, 2012 at Jungle Island – Tree Top Ballroom, Miami, Florida
The Greater Miami Society for Human Resource Management (GMSHRM) was founded in 1952 and is dedicated to advancing the HR professional and enhancing HR careers by providing a variety of programs and services to meet the professional needs of HR practitioners. The GMSHRM Diversity and Inclusion Awards is an annual event that recognizes organizations and individuals for best practices in diversity and inclusion. Award Winners are leaders in South Florida who promote excellence in their workplaces by welcoming and encouraging employees of different perspectives, backgrounds and life experiences. This year GMSHRM renamed the award to “Diversity In Action” to focus on companies that not only have promoted diversity and inclusion in the workplace but also have had a direct impact on the community at large.
Claire Bergquist, GMSHRM’s 2012 Diversity Director states “the purpose of this award is not only to name a winner, indeed all companies undertaking diversity and inclusion initiatives are winners, but also to honor the company whose diversity and inclusion practices stand out among the stellar nominees considered each year. This year one company truly stood out amongst the nominations – Ryder System, Inc.”
Ryder System, Inc. exemplifies the spirit of this award! Ryder demonstrated their commitment to best practices, by creating innovative and unique initiatives for promoting diversity and inclusion in the workplace and in the community at large. A few of the great initiatives that stood out include:
• Ryder has shown a strong commitment to developing and advancing women into key leadership roles by creating initiatives designed to advance women in their workplace. In 2011, Ryder formed the Women Leadership Forum Task Force to continue the dialog of improving the number of women in key leadership roles.
• Ryder has specifically provided mentoring to local high school students through the Big Brothers, Big Sisters School to Work Program.
• The Ryder Charitable Foundation supports Ryder’s overall company focus on creating a diverse and inclusive working environment for employees. As part of this effort, their Foundation has funded numerous organizations such as the National Gay & Lesbian Task Force and Women Executive Leadership. In addition, Ryder has provided scholarships through the Hispanic Scholarship Fund and provided direct support to the United Negro College Fund (UNCF) with funds specifically directed to local HBCU, Florida Memorial University. In addition, Ryder’s partnership with the Nat Moore Foundation, has provided scholarships for graduating high school seniors.
• In 2011, Ryder sourced $336 million or 8.01% of its total negotiable spends, with small and diverse suppliers. This represented a significant increase from the prior year for the organization. Ryder also supports minority vendors by being a Corporate Member of the National Minority Supplier Development Council.
• In 2011, Ryder joined the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Hiring Our Heroes program and became a member of the Chamber’s Veterans Employment Advisory Council. As a member of the VEAC, Ryder has pledged to hire 1,000 veterans by 2013 and has made a commitment to attend more than 30 military recruiting fairs. Since making this pledge, Ryder has already hired more than 498 veterans, including 191 drivers and 129 technicians.
This is the second win for Ryder System, Inc. as the transportation and logistics company was a joint winner in 2006. Previous winners of GMSHRM’s Diversity & Inclusion Awards include: University of Miami (2011), Marriott Global Reservations Sales (2010), Early Learning Coalition of Miami-Dade/Monroe (2009), Burger King Corporation (2008), Miami Dade College (2007), PBS&J (2007), Jet Stream Federal Credit Union (2007), VITAS (2007), Miami-Dade County and Akerman Senterfitt (2006).
Ryder System, Inc. will be recognized at GMSHRM’s 2012 Diversity In Action Program on September 24, 2012 at Jungle Island, Tree Top Ballroom 1111 Parrot Jungle Trail, Miami. The program is from 3:00 pm – 8:00 pm. Visit our website – www.GMSHRM.org to register for the event.
The Diversity In Action Program will include phenomenal speakers such as Dr. Shirley Davis, Director of Diversity & Inclusion, Society for Human Resource Management, and Grammy Award Winner and diversity pioneer Don Mizell, Esq. In addition, a dynamic panel discussion on best practices for diversity and inclusion in the workplace will be conducted by Rueben Stokes, Group Director of Diversity & Inclusion, Ryder System, Inc. and by Debbie Winkles, SVP, HR Director for Great Florida Bank and volunteer Treasurer of Miami-Dade EmployAbility Network.
About Ryder System, Inc.:
Ryder is a FORTUNE 500® commercial transportation, logistics and supply chain management solutions company. Ryder’
The Greater Miami Society for Human Resource Management (GMSHRM) is dedicated to advancing the HR professional and enhancing HR careers by providing a variety of programs and services designed to meet the professional needs of HR practitioners in Miami-Dade County. Founded in 1952, GMSHRM has grown into the largest professional association of human resources professionals in Miami-Dade County. GMSHRM is proud to be a local chapter affiliate of the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), the world's largest HR organization. For more information, please contact Jenna Rassif, GMSHRM President at (305) 308–4774 or visit us on the web at http://www.gmshrm.org.