Shield Reveals Its Top Tips To Save You Pounds On Your Caravan Policy
Whatever make of motorhome you own or are planning to buy, it will need to be insured before you can hit the road. No one wants to shell out more than is really necessary for something that (fingers crossed) may never happen...
Sept. 12, 2012 - PRLog -- Whatever make of motorhome you own or are planning to buy, it will need to be insured before you can hit the road. No one wants to shell out more than is really necessary for something that (fingers crossed) may never happen, but cutting your level of cover in order to keep insurance costs low is not a clever move.
“Insurance is what’s called a ‘distress’
“The average cost of an annual motorhome insurance policy taken out with Shield Total Insurance is just £236. If this is outside your budget, we can suggest six sensible tips for cutting the cost without compromising on the level of cover.”
1. Buy from a specialist broker. A specialist, like Shield Total Insurance, knows what a motorhome is, how it’s used, when it’s used, where you keep it, what you put in it and what it is worth to you.
“A high street insurance broker tends to think a motorhome owner is a white van man who’s thrown a mattress in the back,” said Stuart. “He doesn’t understand the risk he’s taking, on or the cover needed and you’ll end up paying over the odds for a policy that doesn’t suit your requirements.
“Personal belongings cover is usually only limited to £100 and you won’t find cover for gas and explosion, awnings or generators and foreign usage is likely to be limited by the length of the trip..
2. Move house! Your postcode is probably the biggest single factor affecting how much you pay for your motorhome insurance. Your insurance is rated based upon your primary storage location, i.e. where it is most often kept.
“For example, Shield provides cover for a keen motorhome owner who lives in the NG1 postcode in central Nottingham,”
3. Limit your mileage. One of the reasons why motorhome owners are such good risks is that generally they don’t travel very far. The average motorhome covers just 6,500 miles a year – compare that to 60,000 miles a year for the average Fiat-based commercial van. Discounts are available for reduced mileage limits. “If you go over your stated mileage, you can always increase it for an extra charge,” said Stuart.
4. Use your no claims discount. This is one of the most often misunderstood aspects of motorhome insurance, especially when buying from a non-specialist broker.
“You can’t use your no claims twice – if you are using it on your car, you can’t use it again on your motorhome,” said Stuart, “What Shield can do is match it with an introductory bonus, allowing you to then go on and earn no claims discount in your own right on your motorhome. Such discounts or bonuses make a big difference to your premium.”
5. Don’t let the kids drive! Adding younger or less experienced drivers to your policy will significantly increase your premium. This is because the overall rate you pay is often based on the youngest driver even if they only drive occasionally. Restrict drivers to those that are necessary.
6. Discourage thieves and take security measures. Alarms, extra locks, tracking devices all drive down your insurance costs. But what’s acceptable and what isn’t, differs from company to company.
“At Shield we like pro-active tracking devices,” said Stuart. “They help us get our insurable property back – usually very quickly. Because they feature so heavily on motorhomes, 40% of stolen motorhomes are recovered, compared to just 3% of stolen caravans.”
Shield offers a variety of flexible cover options starting at £153 for third party fire and theft to fully comprehensive cover starting at £174.
For more information on the range of policies available contact Shield Total Insurance on 08448 474 474 or visit www.shieldtotalinsurance.co.uk Join the Shield Total Insurance caravan community via Twitter on @armadillosdo or at www.facebook.com/
Shield Total Insurance is the UK’s leading camping and caravan insurance specialist, ensuring comprehensive cover and total peace of mind.
About Shield Total Insurance
Shield Total Insurance (formerly Shield Direct) was established in 1997 as one of the first specialist Caravan and Motorhome insurance intermediaries in Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
A series of comprehensive insurance packages are offered, each designed to cater for the specific requirements of the caravanning and motorhoming community. These include policies for homes, pets, folding caravans and campers, tents and trailer tents.
Policies are also available for static caravans, residential park homes, holiday lodges and log cabins making Shield Total Insurance one of the biggest and most experienced providers of outdoor leisure related insurance.
Kellie Hindley or Jackie Duffy at Shooting Star PR
T: 01625 535017