How to care your hair iron facts
Keeping your hair iron or straightening tool in tip-top shape is a great way to make sure that you get the most out of it. If you use your straightener everyday, you should take special care to clean, store, and use it in a way
• Never submerge your iron in water and always unplug and allow it to cool before use.
• Make sure that you wipe down your ironing plates after every use. Build up of hairstyling product or natural oils on your iron can damage it, not to mention increase the amount of dirt re-administered on your hair with every use. Use a soft cloth to remove excess residue.
• Once a week, use a cloth moistened with rubbing alcohol to sterilise the plates, making sure they are rinsed with another damp cloth and dried before your next use.
• Always check that any cleaning solvent you wish to apply to the plates is safe for use on whatever material they are made of.
• Don't hang your iron by the cord, nor should you wrap it around the tool as this can damage the internal wiring in the cord.
• Remove the plug from the wall after every use.
• Only store your iron after it has fully cooled.
• Try to find a special drawer or bag in which to store your iron. That way, you'll always know where to find it and it will be protected from external damage. You can even invest in a special styling tool holder if you want to keep your styling space neat and organised.
• Use your iron only on clean hair to avoid damage.
• Take care when choosing a heat setting. Equally, be sure to avoid overheating your strands and the plates by gliding the tongs through your hair rather than holding them in place.
• Your iron should have its own socket to avoid a dangerous power surge situation.
• Never use your iron on sopping wet hair - always make sure to use a dryer first, leaving dry sections to be ironed one at a time.
• If possible, add product to your hair only after you have finished straightening it. This will prevent build up on the plates.
For more tips, visit your local hairstylist to devise a straightening routine that works for you. If you are looking for a Birmingham hairdresser, be sure to stop by our salon to find the best hair irons and straightening products.