News By Tag
News By Place
Personal Brand Makeover: 8 Back-to-School Tips To Help You Create Success
Heading back-to-school is an exciting time filled with promise. Afterall, On the first day of school we all have 100%. The beginning of a new school year is a great time to conduct a Personal Brand Makeover so you can create a more successful YOU!
These tips can keep us all feeling successful through to the end of the year - and beyond.
* Branding, like life, is a process. Live your life so that whenever you fail you are ahead - realize that your 'failures' are really steps towards success. You have do-overs. This is 'Rule #1'. Remember this rule when the going gets tough.
* Build on the basics. Trends and language will change. The basics will stay the same. Personal branding is about knowing and defining who you are, getting involved in your community and figuring out how you can best contribute. It was this way before Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter - and it will remain this way afterwards.
* Know your values. There's an adage that says, 'How you are anywhere is how you are everywhere.' Personal and professional success aren't separate. You have values and you stand for something. Know your values and apply them positively into every aspect of your life. 'To thine own self be true.' (This was Shakespeare's Personal Branding advice - and he knew from whence he spake.)
* Know your value. You have strengths, skills and experiences already that make you valuable to you those around you. Learn how to identify and put words to these strengths so you can clearly communicate what you have to offer. This is a fundamental requirement for your personal and professional success.
* Participate in activities you LOVE. Remember that school is 'real life'. You're already living your 'real life', so get to it. What are you doing to participate?
*Expand your networks. Regardless of where you are in your education, it's never too soon (or too late) to become more aware of your personal and professional networks. Who are your go-to people for support in any area of your life? Are you connected with networks in your area(s) of interest? Now is the time to learn about the variety of network types and to expand your participation.
* FRIEND Yourself First. Forget trying to figure out what you want to be when you grow up. Personal branding is about who you are today. You are already you - so it's time to get started putting words to who you are and creating success from your strengths, experiences and values.
* Check your online footprint. Your Personal Brand, your reputation, is the long-term view that people have of you. Google yourself. What do you find? In today's world, you want people to find positive and compelling information about you. Don't leave this to chance - or solely to Facebook. You don't need to have a website or blog site to have a compelling online presence that you're proud to share on your resume and business card. It's time to create a LinkedIn profile and begin to use that URL on your materials. Get connected to people on LinkedIn.
Getting started on the Personal Branding process is easy. It's a matter of getting and staying connected to a network of people working on their personal brands. Jump in where you are and learn more as you go along. Jump in at CampbellDuke.com by subscribing to the weekly newsletter, or the blog RSS feed.