"How to Earn the LEED® Green Power Credit" White Paper Published By 3Degrees
White Paper Helps Green Building Professionals Quickly and Easily Understand How to Use Renewable Energy to Earn LEED Points
Aug. 16, 2012 - PRLog -- SAN FRANCISCO— As green building professionals continue to search for new ways to make the energy used at their LEED projects more environmentally sustainable, many are looking beyond traditional energy conservation and efficiency technologies and are considering how they can use clean, renewable energy to power their buildings.
For these professionals, 3Degrees' How to Earn the LEED Green Power Credit white paper is quite valuable. By reading the white paper, green building professionals can learn how renewable energy can make their projects' energy use more environmentally sustainable, helping them secure up to six points towards LEED certification.
3Degrees, a five-time winner of the U.S. Department of Energy's Green Power Supplier of the Year Award, explains in the white paper how:
• Buildings' use of electricity has a powerful impact on the environment and climate change.
• On-site and off-site renewable energy, when combined with energy conservation and efficiency, can help mitigate a building's environmental impact.
• Projects can earn LEED points through the installation of renewable energy generation technologies at the project site (on-site) or through the purchase of renewable energy produced elsewhere (off-site).
"Energy efficiency and conservation are essential in mitigating a building's environmental impact. In addition to reducing energy consumption, green building professionals can also use renewable energy as another way for them to mitigate the impact of their projects' energy use on the environment,"
Topics covered in the white paper include:
• The number of points each LEED rating system credit — EAc2, EAc4 and EAc6 — awards to projects for their use of different amounts of renewable energy.
• The benefits, drawbacks, and requirements associated with both on-site and off-site renewable energy solutions.
• The types of on-site renewable energy technologies that can be used to earn LEED points.
• Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs), utility green power programs, and other ways projects can use off-site renewable energy to make green power commitments.
3Degrees' mission is to mitigate the effects of climate change by accelerating the world's transition to a low-carbon, renewable energy economy.
3Degrees realizes this mission by providing green power and carbon offset products and services to Fortune 500 companies, utilities, green building firms, and other organizations that are working to make their operations, products, and services more sustainable. By matching their electricity use and unavoidable greenhouse gas emissions with Renewable Energy Certificates and carbon offsets, organizations and individuals provide support to green power and greenhouse gas emission reduction projects and mitigate the environmental impact of their energy use.
Winner of the U.S. Department of Energy's Green Power Leadership Award for five straight years, 3Degrees is headquartered in San Francisco, California, with regional offices in New England, the Mid-Atlantic, Midwest, Rocky Mountains, and Pacific Northwest. To learn more, visit http://www.3degreesinc.com.