News By Tag
News By Location
26th Annual American Sand Sculpting Championship Dates Announced – Nov. 16-25, 2012
The 26th Annual American Sand Sculpting Championship returns to Fort Myers Beach in November. Fort Myers Beach Chamber of Commerce, Big C Events, Pinchers Crab Shack, Holiday Inn Fort Myers Beach and The Sand Lovers partnering for this year's event.
Perpetually coordinated by the Fort Myers Beach Chamber of Commerce, the 26th annual event will be managed by Big C Events, Pinchers Crab Shack, the Holiday Inn Fort Myers Beach and The Sand Lovers, all of which have been involved in other successful sand sculpting events including hosting the World Championships of Sand Sculpting last year.
"The partnership with the Chamber, the Holiday Inn Fort Myers Beach, and Pincher's Crab Shack is a winning combination for our beach community," said Bud Nocera, President of the Greater Fort Myers Beach Chamber of Commerce. "We invite our beach businesses to join in with their own events to make this truly an island-wide festival."
“We’re really excited about this collaboration,”
Tourists and residents alike will have the rare opportunity to see a collection of some of the world's very best sand sculptors create amazing sand sculptures. Featuring 30 sculptors hailing from several different countries, the singles will compete the first week, followed by the doubles.
“As local Master Sand Sculptors we are honored to be part of this team,” commented Bill Knight of The Sand Lovers. “The positive local support and newly formed partnerships make the event a success even before it opens.”
The American Sand Sculpting Championship was recognized as a top 20 event of the entire southeastern United States by the Southeastern Tourism Society and featured not only world class sculptors, but more than 60 vendors in the Sand Vendor Village, sponsored by Target.
“We are so pleased to see the support behind this year’s American Sand Sculpting Championship event,” commented Fort Myers Beach Mayor, Larry Kiker. “This is a momentous event for our town every year and we’re looking forward to a spectacular time on the beach.”
Guests are welcome to attend daily or at anytime from the 16th until the 25th. There will be many interactive activities for guests to partake in including:
• 30 Sand Sculptures - Viewing 30 sand sculptures, over 1000 tons of sand will be sculpted, including one huge 350 ton sand sculpture
• Quick Sand Speed Sculpting -Watch two sculptors face off in a 10 minute sculpt off.
They sculpt a subject the audience chooses and the audience chooses the winner.
• Sand Sculpting Demonstrations and Lessons –Learn the Tricks of the Master Sculptors.
• Flying Colors - Watch world renowned Artist and Master Sand Sculptor
"John Gowdy" create a painting on a spinning canvas, timed to music in
in less than 10 minutes.
• Live Chain Saw Art – With Australian Artist, Andy Hancock. Watch Andy create works of art from logs in a few minutes with only a chainsaw.
• Amateur Contest – Open to anyone and all levels of sculptors. Try your hand at sand sculpting.
• State Championships – After four years, this year we are bringing back a long-standing tradition “The State Championships”
• Photo Opportunity Sculptures – Custom designed sculptures, step into the sculpture and have your photo taken, “think Christmas cards”.
• Kids Activity Area - Featuring Bounce Houses, Rock Climbing Wall, Bungee Jump and much more...
• Sand Vendor Village - Over 50 vendors from around the country--offering a great selection of food, beverages, specialty retail and arts & crafts.
Tickets are just $5 for adults and children 5 and older, 4 and under are free. For more information, please visit http://sandsculptingfestival.com/
LOCATION & TRANSPORTATION
The 26th Annual American Sand Sculpting Competition will be at the Holiday Inn located at 6890 Estero Boulevard on Fort Myers Beach. Attendees are encouraged to arrive from the south in order to avoid traffic congestion. Event directors have coordinated a revolving bus system to transport attendees from the Lover’s Key parking area to the site. Parking is also available in the Publix shopping center at Bonita Beach Road and U.S. 41 where the Lee County beach “Trollee” will pick up attendees.