News By Tag
News By Place
Careers Without Borders - Experts Connection Explains How to Launch an International Job Search
Global Career Management Expert Patti Wilson Predicts the Professional Career Pool Will Be Global, and Shows You How to Dive In.
The days of the corporate ex-patriot assignment are gone as more companies look to expand their reach into emerging markets. They tend to hire talent to work on location, rather than importing executives from the home office, and as a result, recruiters are working globally and professionals are choosing to pursue advanced education and career paths internationally. “I believe that there is a sea change in how and where we will be employed in this decade,” explains Wilson. “The scale is global in terms of visibility, opportunities and markets. There are no local jobs, careers or marketplaces anymore.”
In this Experts Connection webinar, Patti will explain the ins and outs of conducting a cross border job search. Included in the presentation will be a discussion of how to determine the best location for your career, creating a cross-border online presence, how to prepare for relocation, and building a network of contacts and researching opportunities using country, regional and global channels. Specific discussion points will include:
- Determining your search goals based on your personal career criteria.
- Creating a game plan to find the opportunities that best fit your experience.
- Identifying potential countries, regions, industries, and sectors to pursue.
- Finding information and conducting complete in-depth industry and company research across borders.
- Building a substantial network localized in countries and regions on your target list.
- How to set up banking, immigration and business requirements in advance.
- Preparing for the financial, social, housing, educational and multi-cultural challenges.
- Negotiating beyond salary in terms of taxation and other kinds of compensation, benefits, and perks, and what to look for.
- Handling the interview process and determining the cultural fit of both the company and the country.
- Taking the long view and planning an ongoing international career.
“Today’s business is clearly global, and so are career possibilities, so executive job seekers need to understand how to compete on an international level,” said Katherine Simmons, CEO of NETSHARE and host of the Experts Connection webinars. “Patti has worked with hundreds of executives developing successful international relocation strategies. This is a must-attend event for any professional thinking about taking their career beyond the borders.”
The Experts Connection teleseminar series gives executives access to leading career experts. The cost of the seminar is $60, $50 for NETSHARE members, and access is provided via web and telephone. For more information, visit the Experts Connection online at http://www.experts-
About Patti Wilson
Patti is Managing Principal of The Career Company and author of The Digital Resume. She delivers career management services to executives wanting to advance their careers globally, enabling her clients to land cross-border opportunities. Her experience includes organizational structures and cultural nuance for companies of all sizes and the successful functioning of high value talent within these companies. She has held positions at Sun and Apple. Patti holds a Master’s Degree in Career Development. She continues to author articles and present seminars and webinars to a wide audience including MBA schools such as INSEAD, UCLA, Stanford, Harvard, UC Berkeley and London Business School. An early adopter of technology, she consulted with the CEO of LinkedIn in 2003 and uses cutting edge internet tools to advance her clients cross-border careers.
NETSHARE (http://www.netshare.com) is a confidential, membership based organization dedicated to providing executives across all disciplines and industries with quality $100K plus job lists. NETSHARE also offers networking opportunities and a community of peers for the exchange of strategic information related to job search, professional development and best practices. NETSHARE has been recognized by Fortune and Forbes magazines as the best online destination for executive positions. For more information, visit http://www.netshare.com.
Woolf Media & Marketing