News By Tag
News By Place
RFID based Library Management Software: Secure and Automated
RFID based library management software is a wireless technology to retrieve data from books, without having the need of any contact to them. The system automates the process of item identification and tracking and prevents stealing of items.
Functioning of an RFID Based Library Management System
A smart label or tag is attached to the book whose details are to be retrieved. The tag is programmed with the book details. It needs to be activated by the signals sent by a reader (antenna). On being exposed to radio waves transmitted by the antenna, the tag gets activated. And on receiving the activation signal, the information stored on the tag gets decoded; this data is then received by the reader and transferred further to the computer server for processing. This wireless RFID based library management software eliminates the need to be in contact of the item for which information is sought.
How RFID has revolutionized the functioning of a library
The use of RFID has revolutionized the execution of different library operations. There is no need of sitting through long hours and fetching the data manually. Let’s see how a library can benefit from it:
1. Automation saves Time: It allows automatic identification of the books and capturing data from them without making any physical contact with it. This hastens the overall process and saves a great deal of time. The monotony of doing a work again and again is eliminated.
2. Robust Tags: RFID tags are robust and reliable: they can work efficiently and accurately even in hostile environments like dust, high temperature, and humid climatic conditions. They have also the capability to read through different types of materials.
3. Quick Check-in/Check-
4. Quick Re-Shelving: Re-shelving of items also becomes quicker and efficient; hence the making it a plain sailing for the users to locate books that they are in need of.
5. Book Drop Stations: The facility of book drop stations allows the patrons to check-in the books they need to return, without taking the help from library staff. The RFID based library automation system avoids the check-out of the returned books manually by the users.
6. Efficient RFID Reader: An RFID reader is capable of reading up to 16 items simultaneously. It can read from a distance of about 15 cm and the write distance can be up to 19 cm. The power consumption in such a process is low. The communication between the reader and the item can be either in serial or parallel manner.
7. Security Gates: RFID based library management software uses a combination of RFID and EAS (Electronic Article Surveillance)
In nutshell, the library management system based on RFID is an intelligent way of executing different library functionalities. It can automate the entire system and can accelerate the processes involved.
For more information please visit : http://www.libsys.co.in/