Homelessness Projected to Increase 5 Percent Nationally by 2013
We all face tragedy – loss of a loved one to cancer, loss of a marriage, a job or a home from the recession can “Wreck” anyone. In his new book "Wrecked," bestselling author Jeff Goins looks at the impact of tragedy and how we can respond.
• Provocative New Release Wrecked Explores Impact of Inequitable Social Issues on the “Comfortable Majority”
WASHINGTON, D.C. — According to the latest data from the National Alliance to End Homelessness, the rate of homelessness in America could increase 5 percent by 2013 - sending 74,000 more people to the streets if corrective intervention does not occur .
The study can be accessed at http://www.endhomelessness.org/
• Homelessness increased in these communities from about 295,000 in 2010 to about 302,000 in 2011, or 2.5 percent.
• The projected increase in homelessness through 2013, due to the recession and continued economic downturn, is 5 percent or 74,000 people.
• This would be the largest increase in homelessness since regular reporting on the size of the homeless population began in the 2007 Annual Homeless Assessment Report to Congress.
• The baseline for homeless in America currently fluctuates around 1.6 million people.
“While these findings are disturbing, our response to them shouldn’t be,” says author Jeff Goins, regarding his book Wrecked: When a Broken World Slams into your Comfortable Life. “The truth is that no matter how large a problem may seem, such as homelessness, each of us can affect a positive change – if we step out of our comfort zone.”
Homelessness and poverty were the catalysts that spurred Goins to take that uncomfortable step himself. He and a friend loaded backpacks with apples and granola bars. They regularly struck out on the streets of a major U.S. city passing out the food to the homeless people they encountered.
Goins’ firsthand experience facing poverty here and abroad changed his then middleclass perspective on life – or Wrecked him – driving him to a life of service to others and to write this book.
“Wrecked is about the life most of us are afraid to live – it’s a manifesto for a generation dissatisfied with the status quo and wanting to make a difference.”
JEFF GOINS was born in the suburbs of Chicago, IL. During a study abroad program in Spain, where his life was forever changed, he fell in love with travel. Jeff graduated from Illinois College with a B.A. in Spanish and Religion. He spent a year after college touring with a band, playing music all over North America and Taiwan. In 2006, he moved to Nashville, TN, where he now lives with his family. Jeff works for Adventures in Missions, an international non-profit organization. You can visit him online at http://www.goinswriter.com. Find out more about his book at htttp://www.wreckedthebook.com.
TO BOOK an INTERVIEW or SPEAKING ENGAGEMENT with JEFF GOINS
Please call or email • 615-512-5488 • email@example.com