News By Tag
News By Place
Wine and Dine Among Cars at East Passyunk's Annual Car Show and Street Festival
East Passyunk Avenue is revving up for the 7th Annual Car Show and Street Festival on Sunday, July 29, 2012. More than 140 vehicles are expected. The accompanying street festival will feature award-winning restaurants with special street foods.
“The 7th Car Show and Street Festival features tasty street fare and refreshing cocktails from our amazing line-up of restaurants, pubs and bars,” said EPA’s Renee Gilinger. “Families from around the tri-state area flock to the East Passyunk to cruise the cars, enjoy live music on every block and taste authentic South Philly cooking.”
Keeping in line with EPA’s ever-diversifying dining options, restaurants that will be staggered between the 140+ cars, trucks and motorcycles include:
• Birra – Outdoor beer garden and slices
• Cantina – Regular menu in the outdoor yard with brunch and margarita specials
• El Zarape – Tacos al pastor on the outdoor spit and other Mexican favorites
• Le Virtu – Outdoor grill and beer garden
• Mamma Maria – Gnocchi, chicken cutlets, sausage and peppers
• Marra's – Pizza, sausage and peppers, meatball sandwiches
• Ms Goody Cupcake – Special festival flavors (Classic Car, Doo Wop, Taste of Summer, Margarita)
• Noir – Montreal-style hot dogs, poutine and arancini
• Plenty – Sandwiches and panini including pesto chicken, tasso ham and portabello mushrooms
• Stogie Joe's – Outdoor craft beer bar
Ms Goody Cupcake presents more food-related fun with “Cupcakes & Cars: One Year Anniversary Party” from 11:30am to 5:00pm. South Philly’s only cupcakery celebrates one year on EPA with cupcake samples, debut of new treats, door prizes and a car-themed cake cutting ceremony at 2:00pm.
Live music will keep things moving and grooving as diners enjoy the cars and food selections. Every block of the festival will feature a different band, including:
• 12:30pm to 2:00pm – Los Kilates (El Zarape, 12th and Morris streets)
• 1:00pm to 2:30pm – East Coastamite (Le Virtu, EPA and Juniper Street)
• 2pm – DooWop Band (Stogie Joe's, EPA and Moore Street)
• 2:00pm to 3:00pm – Pan Labyrinth (Birra, EPA and 12th Street)
• 2:30pm – Furious George (Stogie Joe's, EPA and Moore Street)
• 3:00pm qcpkw to 4:30pm – We Are Fauna (Le Virtu, EPA and Juniper Street)
• 3:00pm to 4:30pm – Steve Cal Blues Band (Mamma Maria, EPA between Tasker and Morris streets)
Fun for the whole family will also include ice cream from Little Baby’s Ice Cream, a coloring contest at Ms Goody Cupcake, classic photos, children’s activities and a free moon bounce. Philadelphia School of Circus Arts will entertain the masses with ground skills and tightwire performances. The Bang! Boom! CRAFT! Show at the Fountain will showcase handmade items from 30 crafters and artists. Street vendors will sell car accessories and products, jewelry, sunglasses, Italian clothing and more. After the cars cruise into the sunset, Stogie Joe’s keeps the party rocking with live music until 9:00pm.
The 7th Annual Car Show and Street Festival, formerly known as the Doo Wop, will feature 140+ muscle, classic, antique, custom and show cars, trucks and motorcycles on the five blocks between Broad and Dickinson streets. The event is hosted by the Northeast Muscle Car Club and presented by East Passyunk Avenue Business Improvement District. Sponsors include Yelp, City Paper, Passyunk Avenue Revitalization Corporation, South Philly Review and WOGL. Admission is FREE for attendees and $15 for cars. The rain date is Sunday, August 5, 2012.
East Passyunk Avenue is home to over 150 independently-