News By Tag
News By Place
An impactful global summit to enhance Myanmar's pre-eminence in the world's agricultural markets
Into Myanmar AgriTrade,Investments & Infrastructure Global Summit 2012 will convene in Yangon, Myanmar from 25 - 26 July 2012, with special optional workshop on 27 July focusing on Myanmar Strategy Workshop: Successful Entry & Market Expansion Routes
3. Organised together with the industry, this Summit will address the fundamental opportunities and challenges facing Myanmar. It will bring together existing & new players in Myanmar's rice, pulses, edible oil, sugar, rubber & other agricultural sectors, traders, senior government decision-makers & technology suppliers to meet with the some of the world's foremost investors, traders, buyers and agricultural companies.
4. Top-notch organizations presenting at the summit include senior representatives from Ministry for Agriculture & Irrigation, Commerce, and National Planning & Economic Development, Myanmar Rice Industry Association/
5. In an effort to speed up improvements in the efficiency and productivity of Myanmar’s agriculture, the Ministry of Finance is suspending all payment of tax on imports of equipment and key basics such as fertilizer, seeds, farm chemicals. The tax waiver begins on July 1 2012, and will stay in force at least until the end of next March, the government has just announced. It will allow the cheaper importation of farm machinery and other equipment as well as fertilizer and pesticides
6. This summit will host full force attendance from Myanmar Rice Industry Association/
7. Key Sponsors of the Summit include Olam International, a leading global integrated supply chain manager and processor of agricultural products and food ingredients;
8. Leading global companies showcasing their products, technologies and equipment include: Satake Corporation (Japan), INDUSS FOOD PRODUCTS AND EQUIPMENTS (India), Bühler (Thailand), AWBA (Myanmar), Belarusian Potash Co (Russia) , SGS (Myanmar), SIAM KUBOTA (Thailand/Japan)
9. Mr Narsimha Rao, President, Yara Asia, said: "As the world leader in crop nutrition, Yara has been a key player in global food security and sustainable agriculture solutions. Like in other markets, here in Myanmar, Yara's ambition is to combine our global crop knowledge with local competence and help the Myanmese farmer to increase his yield, improve quality and therefore get a higher income for his crop”
10. Dr. Ye Aung, Senior Rice Technologist & Area Sales Manager, Buhler (Thailand) Ltd, said: “It is a timely event while entire world is woken up by unexpected but drastic changes in this country. The steps new Myanmar Government is taking astonish many governments around the world. G-to G contacts are established, sanctions are suspended, and restrictions are relaxed. Manners and the ways they are doing is somehow competitive. A vastly agricultural country and “rice bowl of Asia” is hardly avoiding food catastrophe during those days. Agriculture is the key economic driver of Myanmar and at the moment the sector is in the dwindling state because of the lack of inputs even though the fact that country has an agro-friendly weather and occupies enormous virgin lands. Apart from financial aids, means of production, knowhow, and knowledge are inseparable. Any kind of help that will be rendered should be complete with dimensions and details, and timely. Towards this direction, this kind of seminar is a perfect one and hits the target”
11. Mr Aung Kyaw Htoo, Agricultural Business Manager, SGS said: “SGS (Myanmar) Ltd. has been present in Myanmar since 1948, but it is for the first time in many years that the country has opened up to foreign investors. This summit will surely bring benefit to potential investors and businesses to understand the reform that are taking place in Myanmar and the opportunities especially in the Agriculture sectors, which has very big potential to invest and develop new markets.”
12. The CEO of the conference organizing company, Magenta Global Pte Ltd, Singapore, Ms Maggie Tan, said: “ This Summit will bring together farmers, enterprises & government in a singular setting. Many companies are looking to Myanmar for long term investing. Through Magenta Global events we hope to assist in the transformation of Myanmar agriculture.”
13. The event will be held at the Sedona Hotel Yangon, Myanmar .