Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Spa & Marina Introduces Food. Thoughtfully Sourced. Carefully Served.
General Manager Led Running Club, Renovation of Employee Cafeteria Space and Menu and Employee Weight Loss Challenge Part of Healthful New Philosophy
“We believe it is our responsibility to exceed the dietary and nutritional expectations of those who walk through our doors by providing them with health-conscious meal options,” said Jeff Pace, general manager at Hyatt Regency Mission Bay. “Our culinary team uses cage-free eggs, sustainable seafood and meat without supplemental growth hormones or antibiotics, as well as other fresh ingredients that reflect the season and local flavors.”
These changes are not only being made to benefit the guests at Hyatt Regency Mission Bay but the staff as well, which is evident in the renovation of the employee cafeteria, Café 1441. Much like its simple, unassuming exterior, the food being served acknowledges the beauty of simple, clean foods that promote a healthy lifestyle. Extensive changes have been made to the staff menu line-up, including:
• Scaling Back on Sugary Goods: Boxes of cereals high in sugar are losing their shelf status. The hotel now mandates that employees be offered a minimum of at least two healthy options like granola and low-sugar/unsweetened cereals. Breakfast foods such as oatmeal, yogurt and fresh fruit are now regulars on the menu.
• Reducing Red Meat: At one time a cafeteria staple, red meat is being replaced with low-fat alternatives such as turkey or chicken.
• Smart Salads with Diet-Friendly Dressings: The salad bar has increased its real estate at the lunch counter and now offers at least two compound salads, one variety of lettuce (romaine is recommended)
• Increased Sensitivity to Cultural and Dietary Needs: The hotel is minimizing its use of frozen entrée-based products in order to expand their offering of vegetarian and ethnic options.
• Healthier Preparation Methods: Roasting and baking are being used in place of frying and an effort is being made to minimize the use of salt and salt-heavy seasonings.
Along with the more healthful menu options, weight loss and exercise have been weaved into the new program. Pace, for example, recently established the hotel’s first walking/running club as a way to encourage staff to augment their new dietary routine with some exercise. Two other members of the management team took a more competitive approach and challenged each other in a successful weight-loss campaign. Each has dropped dozens of pounds as a result.
About the Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Spa and Marina
Neighboring SeaWorld®, the Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Spa and Marina is perfectly situated to ex-plore Balboa Park, Legoland®, the Gaslamp Quarter and San Diego's beautiful beaches. Our recently reinvented San Diego SeaWorld lodging features 430 guestrooms, three pools with waterslides, an award-winning signature restaurant Red Marlin, a poolside bar and lounge and eco-friendly Blue Mar-ble Spa. Our San Diego, CA, lodging is located at 1441 Quivira Road. Visit www.missionbay.hyatt.com or call 619-224-1234 for reservations or more information.