News By Tag
News By Location
U-TECK Offers Workplace Safety Tips for National Safety Month
Manufacturer’s specialized solutions help personnel in the field maintain a safe work environment and prevent accidents on the job
Below are five tips from U-TECK for improving workplace conditions and reducing injuries in the field:
• Invest in Ergonomic Equipment: Reduce worker fatigue, increase productivity, and avoid injuries and strains with ergonomic equipment. Such tools are designed to work with the body’s natural movements and minimize the risk for developing musculoskeletal disorders, especially back pain. For example, easily transport ladders to and from trucks with a ladder caddy, which offsets much of a ladder’s weight.
• Recognize the Dangers of Confined Space: Although they are not visible to the human eye, atmospheric hazards are all too common in manholes. Before heading down into a manhole, practice the Occupation Safety and Health Administration’
• Maintain Visibility: The most recent Bureau of Labor statistics show that 220 workers were struck and killed by a vehicle in 2010. Whether repairing a cable line on the side of a highway, or directing traffic around a construction site, high-visibility clothing and equipment can prevent these devastating incidents. Bright yellow or orange reflective clothing (vests, jackets, headwear, gloves and armbands) and gear (flags, signs, and splicer seats) are ideal.
• Take Caution with Ladders: According to the Consumer Products Safety Commission, approximately 65,000 workers go to the hospital every year due to ladder-related accidents. Before using a ladder, inspect it for broken rungs, missing bolts and other broken parts, and make sure it is placed on level ground. When climbing up and down, face the ladder while holding onto the sides. Use a ladder wedge to help keep the ladder steady.
• Beat the Heat: Take preventative measures when working in the summer heat. In addition to proper hydration and light clothing, heavy-duty work tents and umbrellas help safeguard workers from the beating sun. The best work tents and umbrellas offer versatility and stability, and are made of high-visibility material.
Russ Mason III, U-TECK’s vice president of sales, said, “For more than 25 years, U-TECK has been dedicated to designing and developing diverse products that not only solve everyday problems on the job, but also maintain a safe work environment. As we continue to observe National Safety Month, we encourage organizations in all industries to make an extra effort to examine their current safety initiatives and ensure that they are taking the best possible measures to keep workers safe.”
To learn more about U-TECK’s line of specialized safety products, visit www.uteck.com or call 1-800-542-7011.