News By Tag
News By Location
Lakes Hotel Opens Up Gardens For National Garden Scheme Charity
As part of the National Garden Scheme, the Lakeside Hotel & Spa is once again opening up its gardens and those of neighbouring Rocky Bank and Haverthwaite Lodge allowing visitors to enjoy these spectacular and colourful creations.
By: Ideal PR
All three properties are set within a short distance of each other and feature a range of both traditional and unusual plants with everything from a kitchen garden and roof garden through to woodland areas and herbaceous borders.
The Lakeside Hotel owners have an enormous passion for gardening and for the past 20 years have worked painstakingly with a team of horticulturists to re-landscape the gardens and plan for a year round plethora of choice plants, including some unusual varieties.
The gardens are not normally open to non-residents however there is an opportunity to see them twice this summer when they open up to raise money for a local charity through the National Gardens Scheme.
The Lakeside Hotel is also offering visitors who book accommodation on the two dates a chance to enjoy an exclusive private tour with their head gardener, Richard Lucas. During the tour Richard will introduce each of the hotel’s individual gardens, explaining the thinking and background behind the reasons they have been created.
Amongst the highlights will be the White Garden and Scented Garden, with its fragrant climbing roses and honeysuckle that are trained along the lake frontage. Visitors can also explore the main garden areas with their abundance of shrub roses, herbaceous borders with seasonal bedding. On the roof of the hotel’s pool and AVEDA spa visitors will have access to the roof garden which comes complete with parterres, fruit trees, shrubs, roses and a surrounding lawn area.
Even indoors the garden theme continues as the Lakeview Conservatory exhibits displays of scented leaved Pelargoniums, tender citrus and passionflowers.
Room rates at the hotel during the open days start from £159 per night including breakfast. Price is based on two sharing and includes entry into all three gardens plus an exclusive tour of the gardens with the head gardener. A minimum two night stay applies and the offer is open right through June, July and August.
An added treat for green fingered guests staying at the hotel are four luxurious suites that have their own private gardens, each one with its own individual planting theme of tropical, aromatherapy, calming and scented. These rooms are available for an additional £20 per person, per night.
For more information on Lakeside Hotel and Spa visit www.lakesidehotel.co.uk or call 015395 30001
Notes to Editors
1. Haverthwaite Lodge, is a traditional Lake District garden that has been redesigned and replanted. Gardens are on a series of terraces leading down to the River Leven and include: rose garden, cutting garden, dell area, rock terrace, herbaceous borders and many interesting mature shrubs. In a stunning setting the garden is surrounded by oak woodland and was once a place of 18th and 19th century industry.
2. Rocky Bank is a traditional garden with rock outcrops. The area has been planed with a range of unusual specimen alpines, herbaceous borders, shrubs and ornamental trees. It also features a woodland area with rhododendrons, working greenhouse and polytunnels and a wild flower garden.
3. Admission to all three gardens is £6 for adults, children free. Opening times are from 11am – 4pm. All proceeds are in aid of Boarbank Hall Nursing Home at Allithwaite, Grange over Sands. Cream Teas and/or refreshments are available at Lakeside Hotel.
4. Every year National Garden Scheme gardens across England and Wales welcome about 750,000 visitors. Most gardens which open for the NGS are privately owned and open just a few times each year. Some gardens open as part of a group with the whole community involved. The gardens give all the money raised directly to NGS (including from the sale of teas and plants); the only exceptions being in some cases they ask that a small proportion goes to a nominated local charity.
5. The Lakeside Hotel & Spa has this year been awarded ‘Large Hotel of the Year’ in Cumbria Tourism’s annual awards ceremony. The award recognises excellence in service, quality and facilities within the Lake District’s top hotels.
For further press information on Lakeside Hotel please contact Anthea Yabsley at IDeal Public Relations on 020 8578 6777 or email anthea.yabsley@