What are Top 10 Worst States for Mildew and Mold?
Mold and mildew are very detrimental to your health. In the last 15 years, this problem has been one of the major reasons why homeowners insurance has gone up. Texas is the number one state in America that has the worst problems of mold and mildew.
The optimal areas for mold and mildew to grow are areas that don't get too cold over the winter. Wisconsin for instance, has one of the lowest incidence of mold. This is because during the winter it regularly gets to 40 below. Once temperatures drop below freezing on a regular basis, it kills mold and mildew. Mold and mildew is most prevalent in states that have cool winters. It is kind of surprising, but even a lot of dry states experience problems with mold and mildew growth. If you live in one of these problem areas, you better make sure your homeowners insurance policy covers damage that is caused by mold and mildew.
According to a list compiled by American Risk Management, the Top 10 States that have the most problems with mold and mildew are as follows:
Top 10 States with Mold Problems
1. Texas - Even though you think of Texas as a dry state, there are a lot of coastal areas in Texas. These areas are most likely to develop problems with mold and mildew. Also, it doesn't get cold enough in Texas to kill mold and mildew, so it can pretty much grow all year round.
2. Florida - Florida of course has to be on the top 10 list because it has a lot of humidity and the temperature is just right for growing mildew.
3. Oklahoma - Not sure exactly why they're number three, but it could have to do with an abundance of low income housing. This type of housing is most susceptible to mold and mildew problems.
4. South Carolina - This is a coastal state. Even though sometimes it can get down to freezing, it hardly ever gets cold for very long, so mold and mildew can grow pretty easily.
5. Nevada- If you have ever been to Las Vegas, you probably wouldn't believe that this would be fifth. Maybe all of the mold and mildew problems come from people having their air conditioners running all the time. When people have their air conditioners on, they typically have their windows closed. With a lack of ventilation, mold and mildew problems can become quite serious.
6. Arizona - It's hot and dry, unless you are indoors. It doesn't get cold enough for the winter to take care of mold and mildew.
7. California - I actually expected California to be higher up on the list. California has a huge population and it is on the coast. It is no wonder why it gets a lot of mold problems.
8. South Dakota - This state is the eighth place that have a lot of mold and mildew problems.
9. Tennessee - It can get very humid in Tennessee during the summertime.
10 Kansas - Kansas is the tenth most risky area for developing mold and mildew.
Mold and mildew problems have to be dealt with right away. A lot of times, they can exacerbate problems with asthma or difficulty with breathing. If you have the flu, it can prolong your symptoms and keep you from getting better. This is because mold produces mild toxins. When you inhale it into your lungs, your immune system has to fight extra hard to get rid of them. Make sure that if you have a serious problem with mold, that you get it tested and taken care of. If you start to develop a little bit of mold in your bathroom or kitchen, try to get rid of it right away. Make sure that you get rid of mold that is growing in your bathroom or kitchen tile grout.
Interestingly enough, the states that were included near the bottom of the list were West Virginia, Massachusetts, and Wisconsin. Because these states get so cold, it helps take care of problems with mold and mildew.
Spencer Arnold has two websites dedicated to helping you solve problems with mold and mildew. http://groutcleaningdiy.com teach you how to handle mildew and mold growing on your tile grout. http:/moldandmildewremoval.com is all about getting rid of mold and mildew problems in your home.